Fluffy peppermint filling all rolled into a chocolate cake for a delicious swiss cake roll recipe. Easy treat to make that the whole family will love!
Did you grow up loving the Little Debbie Swiss Rolls? What am I saying, I STILL love them! This homemade version is easy to make, has cleaner ingredients, and can be totally customized to what flavors your family preferes. You’ll love this!
- Cocoa If you can find it easily, Dutch-processed cocoa has a higher fat content and lower starch content. That means it won’t dry out your recipes as much. But don’t stress…use what you have on hand.
- Eggs, separated Beating the whites and yolks separately gives the cake a light and airy sponge reminiscent of our favorite Little Debbie versions.
- Powdered Sugar We use powdered sugar in this recipe because it dissolves quickly and allows for a tender crumb.
- Cream Cheese The cream cheese adds the right tangy creaminess that gives this filling it’s delicious and creamy flavor.
Make the Chocolate Cake:
- Beat the egg yolks. You want them to be creamy and bright yellow in color.
- Sift and stir the dry ingredients together.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the egg yolk. Add in the dry ingredients and beat it all together just until well blended.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Beat the egg whites and fold them in gently. Very, very gently fold the whites in just until mixed. Don’t overmix, you don’t want to let any air out.
- Bake the cake in a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet pan with edges. Err on the side of under-bake, in this case. Over-baking will cause cracking when you try to roll it.
- Roll the cake up in a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. The powdered sugar acts like flour without drying out the cake.
- Let cool and then unroll and spread the frosting on.
How to Make the Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together with a mixer until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and salt and give it a stir.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar until it’s combined.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the chocolate cake (after you unroll it).
- Sprinkle the crushed peppermints all over the spread cream cheese mixture.
- Gently roll the swiss roll back up. Slice it up and eat it!!!
Peppermint Chocolate Swiss Roll Recipe
Chocolate Swiss Cake
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup Sifted powdered sugar
- ¼ cup Sifted flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Cocoa
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 5 egg Whites stiffly beaten
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter unsalted, softened
- 8 Oz Cream cheese (1 pkg) softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 4 cups Powdered sugar
- ½ cup Red peppermint candies crushed in food processeor
How to Make Chocolate Swiss Cake
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Sift powdered sugar, flour, salt and cocoa together.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the egg yolks until well blended.
- Add vanilla
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Spray a 10×15 cookie sheet (with edge) with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Pour cake mixture in the baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the center springs back when pushed with a finger.
- Lightly dust a clean dish towel with powdered sugar. Loosen cake around edges with a knife and invert onto towel while still warm. Peel off parchment paper.
- Roll up cake gently, rolling the towel in the cake.
- Wrap tightly in the towel to hold the shape.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread cream cheese frosting on the cake, sprinkle with the crushed candy and roll like a jelly roll.
How to Make Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine butter and cream cheese into a mixing bowl and beat with a stand or hand mixer, until well-combined, creamy and lump free.
- Add vanilla extract and salt and stir well.
- With a mixer on the low setting, gradually add powdered sugar until completely combined.
Additional Christmas Cookies and Treats to try:
- The Ultimate List of Christmas Cookies for Kids to Make
- Fool-Proof No-Chill Sugar Cookies (great for a GF option!)
- 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies
- Grapefruit Shortbread Cookies
- Citrus Linzer Cookies
- the BEST Homemade Toffee Recipe
- the BEST Gingerbread cake recipe
- Caramel Cookie Cup – a family favorite!
- Jam Thumbprint Cookie recipe
- Super-Moist Apple Almond Cake – perfect for coffee or tea!
- 2 Minute Microwave Fudge
- the BEST Gingerbread Cookies
Holiday Cocktails, Mocktails, & festive drinks to try:
- Bucket List of Holiday Cocktails
- Sex on a Snowbank Cocktail
- Cranberry Margarita (with mocktail version)
- Cranberry Moscow Mule (Moscow Unicorn)
- Rosemary Honey Moscow Mule
- Bourbon Cherry Smash Cocktail
- Whiskey Pom Cocktail
- Cranberry Whiskey Sour
- Root Beer and Rum Cocktail
- Hard Cider Hot Toddy
- Bailey’s S’mores Dessert Shots