Are you looking for a fun and interesting summer cocktail perfect for parties and gatherings? This root beer cocktail is a crowd pleaser. Easy to make with only 3 ingredients, it's perfect for a fast and delicious cocktail.
The best part, you can simply sub out alcohol for more root beer, carbonated water, or juice to create a non-alcoholic version.
This cocktail came about after a lunch at one of our favorite local restaurants. My husband ordered a cocktail that was utterly delicious, if not a bit pricey. After tasting it I KNEW it would be a simple one to recreate. And it was so easy!
- Rum. Good quality rum.
- Root beer. Use the stronger varieties that usually come in glass bottles for a good flavor. Or, if you plan on making a lot, stick with the canned varieties.
- Vanilla Syrup (make your own with sugar and vanilla! Try my easy recipe. You'll use it for so many other cocktails! ) or you could use vanilla extract.
- I have swapped bourbon for rum in this cocktail and liked it. Coconut rum is also a fun swap!
- Try adding a scoop of ice cream for an adult root beer float! Great for summer barbecues!
- For a party, set the rum, root beer, and vanilla syrup on a table with glasses and simple instructions on how much of the mix and how much of the root beer to add.
You could make up a big batch of everything except the root beer and keep it in the fridge. Simply add the root beer, when it's time for the fizz!
I use homemade vanilla simple syrup which is very easy to make and only takes 3 ingredients. However, you could use a plain simple syrup and add a drop of vanilla to the glass, or try using vanilla coffee syrup in small amounts. Simply test a small bit to make sure you get the sweetness level how you want it.
What alcohol goes with root beer?
Rum and Bourbon are my faves for rootbeer. They pair well with the deep earthy flavor of root beer. Skip more floral liquors like gin or St. Germain.
I have always liked the idea of being a bartender for a few months. Maybe I have watched too much Cheers but I have this idea in my head that I would be able to learn so many things about different kinds of people. The stories, and conversations I might overhear intrigues me. Maybe I am just nosy :). People are my thing and bartenders sure see and hear from alot of people, each day.
I think I would like that. Eh, maybe I'm being silly.
Just a day or two a month as a bartender.
There is something so special about getting together with friends and family enjoying a cocktail, meal, cake, or cup of coffee.
Give this cocktail a try. We recommend inviting friends over for an easy cocktail night. They will love this drink and you can rest easy knowing it is easy to make and fun to serve!
Rum and Root Beer Cocktail
- 1 teaspoons vanilla syrup
- 1.5 ounces rum bourbon also works great!
- 4 ounces root beer
- orange peel
- Mix vanilla and rum, stir well.
- Add ice.
- Top with rootbeer and orange peel.