A simple apple almond cake that makes use of humble almonds and apples to create a delicious, heart-warming, and lovely super moist cake that you'll love having along with your afternoon tea or coffee!
Do you love Swedish style desserts like this almond cake? Try my Swedish Upside Down Pear cake...so good! Or hey, if you are gluten-free you can have a tasty Swedish style cake, try my Gluten-free Spiced Pear Cake.
Can you smell that almond cake? Smells heavenly, doesn't it? I adore, adore, adore anything made with almonds simply for the smell.
Almond croissants are my absolute favorite. I have yet to try making those myself and really should give it a go. But croissant...that sounds hard to make?
What isn't hard to make? This lovely apple almond cake. The hardest part of the whole recipe is simply peeling and slicing the apples.
Tip: Take the apple peel and core and pop it into a small pot of simmering water on your stovetop. Your whole house will smell like apple pie!
Like a true Swedish almond cake, this batter comes out good and thick. Don't let that worry you...the liquid from the apples baking helps thin it out and create that perfect cake you need!
Thinly sliced apple and almonds lay gently on top of the batter (that thickness of the batter comes in handy for this, as well!). Don't be tempted to add too thick of a layer of apple or you risk your cake not cooking all the way through.
Yum! Look at that lovely dense & moist cake. Rich and flavorful with just the right amount of apple on every bite. Serve this apple cake with a bit of ice cream or whipping cream...sooo good!
Tip: Try pouring a bit of homemade caramel sauce over top of this cake for that EXTRA indulgent addition.
Apple Almond Cake
- 1 cup - All purpose flour
- ⅓ cup - Whole almonds or almond flour
- ½ cup - Light brown sugar or caster sugar
- 1/4 cup - Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup - Milk
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp - Almond extract
- 1 tsp - Baking powder
- ½ tsp - Baking soda
- ¼ tsp - Salt
- 2 Medium sized apples peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp - Almond slices
- - If using whole almonds, grind the almonds along with the flour to form a fine powder.
- - If using almond flour, mix both the flours evenly in a bowl.
- - In a separate bowl, take the butter and sugar and whisk it until it turns pale and sightly fluffy.
- - Add in the eggs and whisk until eggs are well combined.
- - Add half of the flour and using a spatula, mix until all the flour is combined.
- - Add in the milk and give this mixture another mix.
- - Now shift in the remaining flour and baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl and fold everything gently until a smooth batter forms
- - Pour the batter in a greased and lined baking pan and spread the sliced apples on top of the batter.
- - Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top and bake the cake in a preheated oven for 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees until a knife comes out clean from the center.
- - Let the cake cool to room temperature and enjoy!