What on earth is with the name? Humor, that’s what. We don’t take things too seriously around here and this Sex on a Snowbank Cocktail is proof of that. And proof that when you live in MN, you need to have a good winter cocktail to laugh about the crazy weather. This is it and the original recipe and post that started the internet sensation!
note: this cocktail has taken over the internet and become known as a variety of other names including Sex in the Snow, Snowflake Cocktail, and Frozen Snow Cocktail, along with others. Although those are all great names, there isn’t anything better then the original…
Have you heard of sex on a beach? The cocktail? We have. Yes, we like it. But here in MN it seems a cruel, cruel joke that many of the best cocktails are related to warmth and sand and little umbrellas. People never talk about “winter cocktails”. If you go on Pinterest all the labels for delicious looking cocktails are “Summer”. Classic “summer” cocktails, refreshing “summer” drinks, perfect “summer” beverage. Not a single winter cocktail.
It’s just plain cruel.
We were sitting around the table whining about it (on one of the -25 degree days) with some friends, joking that here in Minnesota it would be more like Sex on a Snowbank with snow and cold and the like. Not fun at all. That gave us a fun cocktail idea…
Sex on a Snowbank. Now that is a Minnesotan drink.
This cocktail really isn’t anything like a Sex on a Beach summer cocktail…it’s one of those winter cocktails (like how we slipped in the fact that everyone should just know about winter cocktails?) that messes with all the rules. It’s like a pina colada, but served in a martini glass (P.S. I’m obsessed with these glasses. They are so gorgeous in real life!). And it’s really the consistency of a slushie. But a winter slushie.
You only need 2 main ingredients and some ice. The best part is that these ingredients are easy to find and have a great shelf life. You can totally buy the Malibu Rum and Cream of coconut and make drinks all winter long without worrying about anything spoiling!
- Malibu Rum You could use traditional rum, if you prefer. However the use of Malibu rum adds coconut flavor on top of coconut flavor…the ULTIMATE. And frankly, with only 2 key ingredients in this cocktail, why NOT?
- Cream of Coconut This ingredient trips people up. Cream of Coconut (often seen as THIS or THIS in the grocery store) is a coconut flavored sweetener commonly used in cocktails. You can also use just a can of coconut milk but use only the thick top that you get prior to shaking the can. Even better, chill it prior to use. You may choose to add a bit of sweetener to the drink if you use this substitution.
How to Make a Sex on a Snowbank Cocktail
This cocktail is easy, easy to make. Just plop a bunch of ice, some alcohol, and some coconutty goodness into a blender and you’ve got yourself an amazing, delicious winter cocktail that is perfect for enjoying with friends!
- Add the Malibu Rum and the Cream of Coconut to the blender.
- Add the ice cubes.
- Blend until it reaches the consistency you prefer. It will be slushy!
- Note: if you prefer a creamy consistency try adding a bit more coconut milk and less ice.
- Note: add pineapple juice and you pretty much have a Pina Colada!
And oh gosh it is wonderful!! Cool, sweet, refreshing, and beautiful.
Where can I get Cream of Coconut?
We used THIS one .
You can find Cream of Coconut at your liquor store and coconut cream in the ethnic section or in canned form next to the coconut milk. See recipe notes of how to use the coconut cream, if you choose to use that option.
Holiday Cocktails, Mocktails, & festive drinks to try:
- Bucket List of Holiday Cocktails
- Sex on a Snowbank Cocktail
- Cranberry Margarita (with mocktail version)
- Cranberry Moscow Mule (Moscow Unicorn)
- Rosemary Honey Moscow Mule
- Bourbon Cherry Smash Cocktail
- Whiskey Pom Cocktail
- Cranberry Whiskey Sour
- Root Beer and Rum Cocktail
- Hard Cider Hot Toddy
- Bailey’s S’mores Dessert Shots
Sex on a Snowbank Winter Cocktails
- 1 1/2 ounces Malibu rum
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream OR coconut cream
- 6 large ice cubes
- Place ingredients together in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a chilled martini glass.
For a really fancy drink, coat the rim of the glass with finely shredded coconut! Cream of Coconut will make the drink a bit sweeter and is easier to use. If you use coconut cream, do not shake the can before opening. Use only the thick cream part of the can. You may want to add sugar if it isn’t sweet enough for your liking.