If you love cherries and you love bourbon, you will absolutely love this drink. Learn to make this cocktail at home with the help of this tutorial.
There was a day when going to a party on a Friday night was the BEST way to spend an evening. Or, when I was younger and had young kids I imagined it was the best way while I was fighting small ones to get in bed. Now I'm all about putting on my yoga pants, turning on Netflix, and sitting with Nate with a cocktail.
What is a cherry smash drink?
This Bourbon Cherry Smash Cocktail, one of my favorite whiskey cocktails, makes me feel like I am SOO not a loser, or old, but more like a very sophisticated, wise, and clever girl.
This sparkling cocktail is sweet and tart. It's made with bourbon and combines the flavor of cherry with the sourness of lemon and the sweetness of simple syrup. Learn how to create this refreshing summer cocktail.
Anyone with a drink this delicious and pretty and fancy must be sophisticated, right?
- Bourbon Whiskey.
- Fresh ripe cherries (or frozen cherries). Be sure to save one for a garnish. Frozen cherries work equally as well for this drink as fresh and are easier to find when cherries aren't in season.
- Simple Syrup (you can sub maple syrup or honey, if you prefer)
- Cherry 7-up, Sprite, or cherry seltzer. Using cherry-flavored 7-up amps up the cherry flavor of this cocktail. Feel free to use a traditional seltzer or club soda if that is what you have. The cherry flavor won't be as pronounced but it will still be a tasty drink.
- Fresh ice.
Don't for one second decide you won't like this because it is made with bourbon. Don't do it. I hosted a happy hour at my co-working location and made this drink...
"I'll try it I don't really like Bourbon, though." they drink...
"Oh gosh, where is the recipe?" and have two.
Not only will you be drinking a GORGEOUS cocktail but it has real old man booze in it, as well. Double sophistication! Totally negates the fact that you are wearing yoga pants and have zero intentions of changing into pajamas before you go to bed.
How to make cherry smash?
- Place the cherries in a lowball/rocks glass and muddle until the cherries are smashed.
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice, bourbon, and simple syrup, and shake it a heck of a lot!.
- Pour it over the muddled cherries, add the 7-up and garnish with a fresh cherry.
Note, if you like you can double strain cocktail to remove any cherry bits, if you prefer.
Let me give you a quick tip that ups the cool factor on this drink AND the tastiness. Especially if you are going to invite friends and serve this drink. Which, if you are my friend and invited me over for yoga pants, Netflix, and cocktails I would kiss you.
Friend, wanna? Your house. I'll bring the cocktails.
Oh wait, the tip...
Oh. My. Gosh. SOOOO good. And you are now the coolest. Cherry-infused bourbon for your Cherry Smash Cocktail? I mean.
Bourbon Cherry Smash Cocktail
- 5 cherries
- 1 oz bourbon (best if cherries were soaked in for a couple days!)
- ½ oz simple syrup
- cherry 7-up OR cherry seltzer
- Muddle the cherries.
- Fill a glass with ice. Combine the cherries, bourbon, and simple syrup in a shaker filled with ice. Pour over ice.
- Top with cherry seltzer or cherry 7-Up.
We have a fabulous collection of cocktails we know you will love! Some of my faves are:
Sex on a Snowbank | This cocktail has been shared over 600k times on Facebook alone. Easy, delicious, and pretty!
Spiked Root Beer Cocktail | a personal favorite, this cocktail is easy and absolutely delicious! Another easy bourbon cocktail.
Whiskey Pom Cocktail | Gorgeous!! This cocktail is gorgeous to serve and oh so delicious!
Cranberry Moscow Mule | Simple, refreshing, and a light twist on a traditional Moscow Mule.