This Sweetheart Martini is a perfect Valentine’s Day cocktail that will make your special dinner complete. This easy martini recipe isn’t as strong as a traditional martini because we skip the vermouth, but still packs quite a punch using good ol’ gin. Which means it’s a perfect drink for those that like girly drinks AND for those that like a little hair on their chest from strong drinks.
If you are a fan of martinis try this sweeter version, we think you’ll be a fan! It is a mixture of a grapefruit martini and a cherry martini, and the combination is sweet, tart and beautiful to look at!
It is fun, simple, and delicious! Everything that is perfect to make for Valentines Day!
This drink looks best in a martini glass, though any number of glasses would work if you don’t have a cocktail glass collection.
The layering of this drink is not hard to do but you DO have to know how. Or you can decide that they layering doesn’t matter and you’re okay with a simple and cute pink drink that doesn’t have different colors.
- Figure out the specific gravity of each of the ingredients in your drink. You may need to do a little research or just give it a try and see what happens. You need to pour your drinks in from heaviest to lightest (because the heaviest will sink through the lightest which, we dont want.
- Pour the heaviest liquor into the glass you prefer (the more narrow the glass is the more noticeable the layers will probably be). Try not to get any up on the sides – pour straight down into the center of the glass.
- Turn a spoon upside down. Place it inside the glass, with the tip of the spoon against the inside edge of the glass, above the first layer and not touching it. Try experimenting with the placement a bit to get the technique you prefer
- Pour the next heaviest liqueur as slowly as possible over the back of the spoon, moving the spoon up as the level of ingredients rises (keep it above the ingredients). Pour from the opposite side of where you’re holding the spoon. If the two ingredients mix up a little bit, give them a few seconds to settle, and they should sort themselves out.
- Repeat for all the ingredients you have.
That is very much the long explanation of how to layer a drink but don’t get yourself overwhelmed…YOU GOT THIS!
This easy martini is only 3 ingredients. You can make it with zero problems. Pinky swear!
- 3 tablespoons cherry juice or cherry grenadine
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 ounces gin
- Pour the grenadine into the bottom of your martini glass.
- Pour the grapefruit juice over the back of a spoon into the martini glass, to create the second layer.
- Pour the gin over the back of a spoon into the martini glass, to create the third layer.
- Garnish the rim of the glass with a strawberry, cherry, or grapefruit slice.
If you like, rim the glass with colored sugar for extra flare!
We’ve started planning what we will have on the Valentine’s Day menu this year and so far we are thinking a lot of chocolate. Appetizer of tomato tart (tomato’s are red, so that works.), shrimp scampi (shrimp… hello aphrodisiac), homemade chocolate cake (don’t need to explain that.), and of course, a sweetheart martini. Although Sex on a Snowbank is still my fave. Both? Yep, let’s do both.
More cocktails to try: