Is there anything more comforting than a bowl of hot tomato soup served next to a melty grilled cheese sandwich? It just somehow warms your soul. Good news for you. Homemade tomato soup is really simple and really easy. If you like tomato soup from a can, this roasted tomato soup recipe is going to blow your mind.
If you love soup recipes , don’t miss my 30 Days of Soup – Soup Mania only for NellieBellie email subscribers!
The main ingredients:
- Tomatoes. Although Roma tomatoes are my preference, any tomatoes you have work just fine. (I hear great things about San Marzano tomatoes…) This soup is a great way to use up your garden abundance.
- Onions. I prefer white onions but use whatever onions I have on hand.
- Garlic. Use garlic cloves and not garlic powder for this. If you like, you can roast the garlic with the tomatoes. Or, add them to a bit of oil in the soup pot before adding the additional ingredients. This is the best method if you are using jarred minced garlic. Both methods are delicious.
- Broth. Veggie or Chicken broth is used to give needed liquid to your soup. If you find your soup is too thick simply add a bit of additional chicken stock or vegetable broth to it.
- Fresh Basil. Placing fresh basil right into the soup as it cooks infuses the soup with a wonderful basil flavor you can’t find with dried basil.
- Jalapeno. Totally optional…but I love throwing in half of a jalapeno to roast with the tomatoes and onion. The jalapeno adds a nice bit of heat to the soup.
How to make the soup:
- Roast the tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos with olive oil, salt, & pepper for about 35 minutes.
- Saute the minced garlic with a little olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add the roasted veggies and the juice on the pan to the soup pot.
- Stir the broth and basil into the soup pot.
- Bring it just to a boil, then let it simmer to blend all of the yummy ingredients together.
- Puree with an immersion blender.
- Season to taste. Add a little kosher salt, black pepper, or even red pepper flakes if you’d like.
- Dig in with a spoon!
Tip: A swirl of yogurt, coconut milk, or heavy cream will add the perfect amount of added creaminess to this fresh recipe! Or leave it out and you’ve got yourself an easy vegan tomato soup recipe!
Do you need to peel tomatoes for soup?
Nope! Absolutely not this soup! Because you will be blending the tomato mixture along with everything else, there is no need to peel the tomatoes. They will get pulverized toward the end of the recipe.
What can I add to tomato soup?
- Swirl some red wine vinegar into the soup for more depth of flavor.
- Serve with shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese and croutons.
- Add a drizzle of pesto (homemade or store bought) and finish with toasted pine nuts and croutons.
- Add a teaspoon or two of Thai red curry paste and some cooked rice, then top with a dollop of coconut milk.
- Stir in chopped baby spinach and serve on cooked white beans.
- Add additional peppers (or even other vegetables, like carrots) to the roasting pan.
- Add cooked barley or quinoa, chopped chicken breast, and baby spinach to soup, top with shredded cheese. Now it’s more of a hearty stew.
How do I store Tomato Soup?
Simply let your soup cool to room temperature, put it in an airtight container, then keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze Homemade Tomato Soup?
Yes! This is one of the best things about soup! Let it cool. Then ladle an individual serving (somewhere between 8 and 12 ounces typically) into resealable bags. Put them in the freezer (lay them flat for easy storage!) and store them for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat over medium or medium-low heat until it’s as hot as you like.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 8-10 tomatoes, medium sized
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic
- 1 jalapeno half seeded
- 4 cups of veggie broth
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast the tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno half with 2-3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the salt, & pepper for about 45 minutes.
- Saute the minced garlic in a large soup pot with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Do not let it burn.
- Add the roasted veggies and the juice on the pan to the soup pot with garlic.
- Stir the broth and basil into the soup pot.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to blend all of the yummy ingredients together.
- Blend with an immersion blender.
- Taste and add additional salt & pepper, as you want.
- If desired, stir in 1 cup of coconut milk, yogurt, or cream.
Other delicious soup recipes to try:
- Decadent & Simple Onion Soup
- Creamy Radish Soup Recipe
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- 15 Minute Shrimp Udon Noodle Soup
- African Peanut Soup Recipe
- easy Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup [Instant pot recipe][Dairy-free recipe]
- Classic Butternut Squash Soup
- Squash and Wild Rice Soup with Cooking Wine
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- One-Pot 30-Min Lasagna Soup.