As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
This simple African Peanut soup recipe is king of cozy on a cold winter night. The easy ingredients are an unexpected combination of sweet, nutty, and spice in one delicious soup!
Traditional African Peanut Soup is made with vegetable broth. I often make mine with cashew or almond milk for extra creaminess and nuttiness.
This soup is vegan and gluten-free, making it a fantastic recipe for many houses. Try the basic recipe first and then add and tweak for the variation your family loves. We’ve listed some of our favorite additions in the recipe notes.
To start out your soup, chop up a large red onion, a red bell pepper, and 4 cloves of garlic. If you like, chop green onion to be used later as topping for your soup.
After you’ve cooked your onions, red pepper, and garlic for about 7 minutes you’ll add in your peanut butter. Use quality peanut butter for the best flavor and nutrition. Stir it in well and don’t be surprised by how thick this soup gets. It’s a hearty one!
After the peanut butter is stirred in well, gently stir in your milk. Put the soup back on the heat and heat the peanut butter and milk thoroughly.
This whole soup is put together in about 20 minutes from start to finish. Serve it with brown rice to stretch the recipe even further and top it with peanuts, green onions, and sour cream. It’s highly nutritious, packed full of flavor, and so easy that you will make it again and again!
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil olive oil is fine too!
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter creamy is fine, if you prefer. Use all-natural peanut butter for the best flavor
- 4 cups Cashew Milk you can use vegetable broth, if you prefer
- sour cream sliced green onions, peanuts for toppings
- Heat peanut oil on medium heat in large pot.
- Add chopped onion and red pepper.
- Cook on medium heat until onion is translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic.
- Keep on medium heat for about 1 minute. (stir while cooking to avoid burning)
- Add tomatoes, pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Continue cooking on medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add peanut butter and Silk cashew milk (or broth) and cook on low, stirring often, until heated through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve over rice, if you like.
-extra peanut butter
-a dash of hot sauce
-adding sweet potatoes to the onion and pepper
-collard greens are a fantastic addition!
-add cooked, diced chicken for a great way to add heartiness
-substitute tomato paste for the crushed tomatoes for a thicker soup
-add fresh ginger with the onion and pepper