For some this butternut squash soup might be too simple. But, you can always jazz it up if you like. I am a big believer, though, that when learning to cook you should know the classic recipe BEFORE the fancy pants one.
If you would like a fancier butternut squash soup, try my Wild Rice & Squash Soup. You'll love the upgrade!
This is the simplest butternut squash soup recipe ever.
In this you don't peel and dice the butternut squash. Instead, you have everything in one giant pot. gasp! And there's only 9 ingredients, which includes the salt! But, this is the truest, most simple Butternut Soup recipe ever. (If you have other great ones...shoot them over here!)
The key ingredients:
- Butternut Squash
You do need an [easyazon_link identifier="B00ARQVM5O" locale="US"]immersion blender[/easyazon_link]...a regular blender works but is pretty messy.
How to roast butternut squash whole:
- Prick the squash
Yummy yummy yummy! It is best served with a dollop of sour cream and a bit of cheddar cheese.
If you all have some other fun variations on Butternut Soup, leave it in the comments or shoot over an email! This family would eat it all year!
Classic Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 butternut squash...baked
- 1 cup diced potatoes.
- 1 cup diced onions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 6 cups of chicken broth or a mixture of wine, broth, cream, etc...
- 2 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of ½ and ½
- Bake the squash until done.
- In large pot melt butter add potatoes and onion.
- Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic
- Cook a minute or two.
- Add chicken broth, rosemary, and salt...simmer about 20 minutes
- Add cooked squash, cover and bring back to boil. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in ½ and ½.
- Serve warm.
Speaking of good recipes...did you check out the Creamy Radish Soup Recipe?
And, here is one of my favorite soups. LOVE my Gourmet Mushroom Soup!