As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
These sour cream zucchini bars with lemon cream cheese frosting are sponsored by Kemps. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Y’all, do you know the trick of using sour cream for baking?
I sure didn’t until I was watching my mother in law making up a batch of pancakes, but instead of using water she used sour cream.
In no uncertain terms, she told me to use sour cream in your baking for more flavor and richness. Yes, ma’am.
I have listened to her for 20 years and use sour cream everywhere I can in my cakes, cookies, breads, pancakes, and zucchini bars.
These zucchini bars use Kemps® Sour Cream to pack in more flavor, moisture, and richness to each bite. Kemps is 100% family farmer-owned and has the perfect texture and taste to make your taste buds do a happy dance when they take a bite!
In fact, I do this so often that Nate can head to Cub Foods, walk right to the Kemps sour cream (in the fridge in the back and middle of the store–if you ever use the Stillwater, MN location :)), and be back out the door in minutes. It’s a handy dandy skill, he has. I’ll just have to make sure that he remembers to take advantage of THIS coupon offer saving me $1 on 2 Kemps Sour Cream products!
Side note that I think is cool…Y’all know that I live in Stillwater, MN. I love this town! Cub Foods began here in Stillwater, MN and has its headquarters about 1/4 mile from my house. I’m a geek about that :).
If you have a food processor, use it to process your zucchini into small bits rather than using the shredder. So handy!
You don’t need to press out the liquid, I’ve taken that liquid into account for this recipe. Just throw it in!
Cream cheese frosting is a classic pairing for zucchini bars. But have you tried lemon cream cheese frosting paired with them?
The zesty, lemon-y, cream cheese frosting is the BEST with these zucchini bars. The ultimate. All you need to do is add a bit of lemon juice and zest to amp up the flavor. I mean, so good!
See ^^^, Stillwater MN :).
Reminder, friends…use Kemps Sour Cream in your baking! Find even more Kemps recipes HERE!
Add-ins to try in your zucchini bars:
- chocolate chips
- pineapple tidbits
- chopped nuts
- dried fruit
Sour Cream Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Kemps Sour Cream I used regular but you can use their light sour cream, if preferred.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a sheet cake pan or 9 by 13 inch pan.
- Beat the sugar, sour cream, and eggs together for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and any additional add-in’s.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together for about 3 minutes.
- A bit at a time, add the powdered sugar beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice and zest. Beat again.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled bars. Serve or chill.