Doesn’t this just look super delicious? There’s a recipe down at the bottom so you can make it yourself, but we wanted to clarify a couple things first. We do not always make chicken broth from scratch. Nope. But we (and by we, I mean Nellie) do sometimes because it is great and uses up veggies that might go bad otherwise. It is really easy. But it does take time. If you don’t want to take time, try the mushroom soup recipe instead. It super fast, super delicious, and all those important things.
Times when you should consider making chicken broth homemade:
- You have a sick child at home who wants chicken noodle soup. Homemade chicken broth automatically qualifies you for mom of the year. No contest.
- Your house smells weird. And you don’t want to clean. Make some of this stuff up and your home will smell delicious. No cleaning required.
- You have food that’s almost bad…but not quite…you don’t want to eat it…but you don’t want to throw it. Take all those vegetables and toss them into a pot. Waste not. Want not.
- You want to. Yep, this is enough of a reason.
Times when you shouldn’t make chicken broth homemade:
- You are too busy. Buy it. It’s faster, and easier, and you have enough on your plate already. It doesn’t make you a bad person if you don’t want to take the time to do this.
- You only need a little. Chicken broth is best made in large quantities. If you only need a cup of broth…don’t go to the trouble. It isn’t worth it. We promise the stuff in the store will work.
- You don’t want to. Once again, this is enough of a reason to skip it.
P.S. if you are wondering about my dutch oven, you can get it [easyazon_link identifier=”B000N501BK” locale=”US”]here[/easyazon_link].
Homemade Chicken Broth
- chicken bones
- 6-8 cups water
- Bay leaf
- Dump everything together in a pot. Don’t chop it. Don’t dice it. Don’t do any extra work. If you’re missing the herbs, that’s fine.
- Turn on stove.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for as many hours as you want. Preferably lots.
- If it’s too strong, add more water.
- If it’s too weak, hahahahahahahahah!
- When you think it’s simmered long enough, take everything out but the liquid. Or if you’re really smart (Bellie isn’t), just take the liquid out. That’s what Nellie does.