You'll have this easy lasagna soup on the table with simple ingredients and in less than 30 minutes! All of the great flavors of lasagna without the work! Great family friendly dinner for busy weeknights that will be on regular rotation on your menu.
Are you looking for a cozy soup the whole family loves? Try my Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup perfect for a cold winter night OR when mom wants something easy to make!
This soup comes together in one pot and is adaptable for your family's taste preferences. Use ground beef or italian sausage, choose the ravioli you love best, change up the spices, and add in additional veggies. This is a great recipe for cold nights that the whole family enjoys that does use a long list of ingredients.
Key Ingredients for lasagna soup:
- Packaged Ravioli. Any frozen ravioli between 8-12 ounces works just fine. I like the smaller pieces versus the large ones but use your family's favorite.
- Pasta Sauce. Use your favorite tomato sauce. Use 2 - 24oz jars or a big guy.
- Chopped Tomatoes. Fresh or canned, both work fine.
- Onion. Chopped onions (yellow or white are my preference).
- Fresh Basil. Dried will work but use fresh as much as possible!
- Ground beef. Ground turkey works great in this soup, just be sure to use a bit of olive oil when sautéing so it isn't too dry.
The wonderful part of making soups is that the ingredients can be adjusted to suit what you have in your pantry and how detail oriented you are about making each element of your ingredients yourself.
Add ins to try:
- Chopped kale or spinach. Add just a bit at the very end of cooking for added nutrition.
- Chopped peppers. Saute some red or green pepper with the onions...so yummy!
- fresh minced garlic. A bit of fresh garlic added at the end of sautéing the veggies adds alot of flavor!
- Carrots + celery. A bit of chopped carrots + celery put in with the onion give you a yummy minestrone feel.
- Fresh herbs. Try adding a bit of fresh parsley or oregano.
- Italian seasoning. A teaspoon goes a long way!
- Red pepper flakes. Does your family like a bit of heat? Add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
How to make lasagna soup:
- Dice the onions and tomatoes and chop the basil into small pieces.
- Brown the ground meat until golden brown in a large pot.
- Add the chopped veggies to the browned meat and saute on low for about 5 minutes. Add the pasta sauce, water, and ravioli.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Boil until the frozen lasagna is done.
- Serve with shredded parmesan cheese + additional fresh basil.
Can you make this recipe in the Slow cooker or Instant Pot?
Absolutely! You'll see instructions for both in the recipe notes.
Can I freeze this soup?
I wouldn't recommend freezing this soup because the noodles might break up when thawing and reheating.
Put leftovers into an airtight container in the fridge for up 3-4 days. If there are any leftovers :). Reheat the next day on the stovetop. You may need to add a bit of water or additional tomato sauce to thin it out.
Serve this soup with some breadsticks, a salad, or my Cheesy Ranch Pull-apart bread. Yeah, serve it with that!!
Also, can we just note my small boy in that photo. Sad day. He is now off and out to college. Man time flies!
easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Package of ravioli around an 8 oz package-or any small pasta
- 2 Jars of pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- 16 oz chopped tomatoes fresh or canned (if canned drain the liquid first)
- 1 chopped onion optional
- 2 tsp fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon of dried. this is by taste, use more if you like
- 1 pound ground beef or venison
- salt and pepper to taste.
- mozzarella cheese for topping
- Prepare the veggies. Dice the onions and tomatoes (if using fresh). Chop the basil into small pieces (if using fresh).
- Brown the meat. I used venison, because we have access to that. Beef works too.
- Add veggies to the browned meat and saute on low for about 5 minutes. Add the pasta sauce, water, and ravioli.
- Bring to a gentle boil and boil for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is done.