This roasted cauliflower soup is a favorite! Warm, hearty, tasty, and easy to make! You can use frozen or fresh cauliflower, use veggie broth and coconut milk to keep it vegan, or swap the coconut milk for cream for added richness. Creamy, flavorful, easy, and soooo adaptable...you'll love this roasted cauliflower soup.
Soup is the best for when you need a hug from the inside. And this soup is pretty good for you but still remains creamy and delicious, so your body can love you, your taste buds can smile, and your tummy can be warm and happy.
Do I have to roast the cauliflower first?
No, you don't. BUT, roasting cauliflower increases the cauliflower flavor and really, really does make the soup taste better. AND, it helps it cook while you are working on the onions and carrots. Because the cauliflower has roasted while the onions are sauteing the time the soup takes to cook is reduced by quite a bit.
Can I use frozen cauliflower?
Absolutely! Make sure to thaw it and dry it really well before roasting it. Fresh cauliflower is always the tastiest but frozen cauliflower isn't far behind AND you don't have to worry about that head of cauliflower going bad.
Can I use regular milk instead of coconut milk?
Absolutely! In fact, before I started making our meals dairy-free, I made this soup with heavy cream instead of the coconut milk. Use whatever form of dairy (or non-dairy) product you prefer.
I saw in the video you add curry paste to yours. Can I skip that?
Yep. For sure. Everytime I make this recipe I change it up, a bit. Sometimes I add some celery. Other times I skip the carrot or add a different veggie. Sometimes I use parsley instead of the bay leaf and thyme. Each time is good. Feel free to tweak and adjust this recipe to whatever you mood is that day!
- 1 head of cauliflower rinsed and chopped.
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced.
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 4 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Mix the chopped cauliflower with the minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and a shake of salt & pepper and put it on a cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil on it and place it into a pre-heated 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Be sure to stir it once or twice so it doesn't get black and nasty on the bottom.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil into your med/large soup pot. Add the onions and carrots and cook them up until nice and golden. About 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, roasted cauliflower, herbs, and water to the onions. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes or the cauliflower is very tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and heat.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup. We sometimes skip this and eat it in broth form. It's still delicious!
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
Are you looking for a great soup recipe?
Creamy Radish Soup | This soup turns the lowly radish into a delicious and wonderful soup!
African Peanut Soup | A favorite of our family, this is crazy fast and easy!
easy Lasagna Soup | One-pot and 30 minutes is all it takes to get this soup on the table.