I was strolling through some of my favorite stores many moons ago and came across a coat hangar that made me stop in my tracks and say...wow. It was the coolest thing. Crazy strange, but crazy cool. And so, completely DIY friendly. And with a price tag in the hundreds of dollars...I knew that a DIY version was the only way to bring that into my home. So, I created my own version of the Octopus Coat Hook (totally my made up name for it).
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
So, the idea of this coat hook is simple...string a large number of hooks together, attach them securely, and hang stuff from the ropes. Kind of brilliant...right!
- [easyazon_link identifier="B009NYUYH8" locale="US"]
- large hooks
- thick rope
- a U bracket, or some sort of way to hold them together securely.
- Determine the length you want your coat hook to be and cut your rope double that in length for as many hooks as you desire.
- Run a piece of rope through the hook.
- Gather all the rope together, with the hooks at the bottom and the ends at the top.
- Prior to securing the hooks place a looped piece of rope in the center of alll of your ropes. This will be your hangar for hanging your coat hook.
- Secure the bundle of rope towards the top. Cut off the ends of the rope as necessary. Be sure not to cut your rope for hanging.
How cool is this! I'm just a wee bit in love with it. So clever and yet so practical!
Moral of the story...use a bit of brains and creativity to make/create what you see!