We call this wild rice “stuffing” in my house. Really, it’s a classic wild rice casserole made in the traditional Minnesota way complete with pork sausage, water chestnuts, and egg. I use canned wild rice and ready-to-serve brown rice to keep it easy!
This wild rice dish makes appearances at many Minnesota homes during the holidays. Naturally gluten free, this hearty and flavorful dish fits many dietary restrictions and should be a recipe you add to your Thanksgiving menu!
My grandma made versions of this recipe for the holidays. You never knew the changes she would make. Sometimes there was cranberries and almonds, sometimes turkey instead of sausage, other times pork and apple. Either way, we loved it and I happily use the same recipe in my home!
I’ve used a package of microwaveable brown rice and canned wild rice to make it easy and easy. Using both kinds of rice is budget-friendly (wild rice is expensive!) and approachable for children and those a little leary of the nutty wild rice. The addition of water chestnuts might be a surprise to some of you but, trust me, you’ll be so glad for that nice crunch!
Don’t miss all of our Thanksgiving recipes, printable menu with timeline, and more resources for your Thanksgiving table!
You’ll love how fast this goes together and how FANTASTIC it tastes! It’s a great addition to your gluten-free holiday meal. Be sure to twist, add, and sub ingredients and flavors to get YOUR perfect rice dressing recipe!
The beautiful part of this recipe is that it using microwaveable brown rice and a can of pre-cooked wild rice making it FAST and easy. You’ll add your, meat & veggies and rice, pop it in the oven, and about 15 minutes later your dish will be done. Viola!
Minnesota Wild Rice Dressing
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can cooked wild rice, drained
- 1 8oz pkg ready-to-serve brown rice, prepared
- 1 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 eggs beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13 baking pan, set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add ground sausage, celery and onion. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until onions are soft and sausage is browned.
- Add chopped mushrooms, water chestnuts, garlic powder, and salt & pepper (to taste–about 1 teaspoon of each).
- Into the prepared baking pan add the wild rice and prepared brown rice.
- Stir in the sausage mixture.
- Add the beaten egg and stir well.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Top with fresh parsley.