These little Valentine's Day Rice Krispie treats are a simple, fun way to spend a cold Saturday afternoon with the kids. If you are in Minnesota cold means... -30 windchill. The kind of cold that freezes your breath before you even get a chance to THINK about breathing. But that's okay, I can hibernate inside with my kids and cover Krispie treats in chocolate and candy.
My kids are old enough that the passing of Valentine's around the class doesn't happen anymore. That makes me happy and sad. Happy because remembering to buy those Valentine's cards for the entire class was a pain. Sad because my kids are getting older and beyond some of the cute Valentine's day stuff.
- Rice Krispie Treats. I've included the simple recipe for these treats below. Rice Krispie Treats are a classic that kids of all ages love!
- Chocolate for dipping. To keep it easy, use almond bark or melting chocolate. To keep it tasty, use real milk chocolate.
- Gel coloring. You can make homemade royal icing, if you like. Or buy the gel coloring you find at your local grocery store.
HOW TO MAKE:
- Make up a batch of Rice Krispie treats and cut them into hearts. You can also use heart molds to make it easier on the kids. Just have them press the treats into the molds to get perfect heart shapes.
- Melt white chocolate, candy coating, or milk chocolate and spread on the top of the hearts and dip the Rice Krispies in the chocolate.
- Decorate with candy or icing.
If you want to add some fun things to your treats, here are some ideas:
- Add chocolate chips (will get messier)
- Use fruity pebbles or a different cereal
- Add peanut butter (also will get messier)
How long are Rice Krispie treats good for?
Only a few days if you don't put them in the freezer. If you freeze them in an airtight container they would stay fresh for several weeks.
What are some classic Conversation Heart sayings?
"Be Mine", "Kiss Me", "Call Me", "Let's Get Busy", or "Miss You" are some of the classics. Recently, however, Necco has been adding new sayings to the mix. Check out some of the fun new sayings from the last 10 years.
Valentine Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 bags marshmallows I used mini-10oz
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt optional
- 2 T solid shortening
- 1 cup white Wilton chocolate melts
- Food gel in red blue, green and yellow
- Wilton red decorating gel
DIRECTIONS FOR RICE KRISPIES
- Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
- Using a rubber spatula (sprayed with Pam ), transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
- Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely before the assembly process.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
- With a medium heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 12 heart shapes from the pan of cooled Rice Krispies.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave the shortening for 45 seconds or until melted. Add the white chocolate melts and stir until completely melted. Depending on your microwave, you may have to microwave an additional 8 seconds and stir to get the white chocolate melted.
- Evenly distribute the melted white chocolate into the 4 small bowls. Add one drop of food gel into each bowl to ensure a pastel color.
- Dip the Rice Krispies hearts into each of the bowls and cover completely with the colored chocolate. Set the hearts on the baking sheet to dry for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Using the Wilton red decorating gel, write cute sayings on each heart.
Other Valentine's Day dessert ideas:
- How to Make Molten Lava Cakes
- Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes--pretty, easy, and delicious!
- easy Grapefruit Martini
- one-layer Maraschino Cherry Cake
- the Best Tres Leches Cake (Milk Cake)
- How To Make easy Chocolate Pot de Creme recipe (fancy chocolate pudding)
- easy mini Pavlova dessert
- the BEST EVER Classic Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe