As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Chocolate Pot de Creme. First of all, what the heck does that mean? Exactly like what it sounds like… Chocolate Pot of Cream. Truly, truly, is there anything more beautiful in all the land than a pot of chocolate flavored cream? I think not. A Chocolate Pot de Creme is rich, smooth, comforting, decadent, and EASY! You heard me right…easy peasy pumpkin squeezy!
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt. ~Charles M. Schulz
I make this recipe quite often for after dinner or, frankly, for myself in the middle of the day. It has such a comforting and decadent quality to it…it makes life better! It is less time consuming than a traditional cake or pie with all the qualities of a good dessert. An easy dessert for busy families!
Chocolate pot de creme is basically pudding. Very fancy pudding. Extra delicious pudding. The kind of pudding you make for guests and parties and nights when you are angry at the world. Those kinds of nights require this recipe. The trick to making a chocolate pudding seem so wonderfully fancy is the richness of the recipe (use good quality chocolate!) AND the presentation. Anything served in mini, personalized portions is just fantastic. A few options for baking these in are ramekins, small bowls, and even mini mason jars. My favorite local restaurant serves flan in mini mason jars and it is simply adorable!
Try changing the type of chocolate you use or using a variety. Use semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer your pot de creme on the sweet side and extra dark if you prefer it on the bitter side. Of course, a mix is always a good idea!
Chocolate Pot de Creme
- 2 cups whipping cream I sometimes use 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream to make it a bit healthier
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
- 4-8 tsp sugar according to taste
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla-whole!
- 4 egg yolks
- Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl, set the bowl aside.
- Combine all ingredients but egg yolks in a heavy saucepan on medium heat.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn the heat down just slightly so you don't have an angry boil but a gentle boil.
- Boil gently until thick and smooth. (about 3-4 minutes)
- Stir often.
- When thick and smooth remove the whole vanilla bean and pour the hot chocolate mixture into egg yolks.
- Beat together until smooth and creamy.
- Divide amongst 4 ramekins.
- Cover and cool for 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.