This is the BEST Margarita Mix recipe for making delicious and easy margaritas at home. Just add good tequila and triple sec to this mix! Perfect for a single margarita or an entire pitcher! Perfect summer cocktail for your grilled flatbreads or veggie burgers!
A good and proper margarita should involve fresh limes muddled with sugar and mint, thrown in a shaker with ice and booze. Ain't no one have time for that! So, I often turn toward purchased margarita mixes from the grocery store to keep it fast and simple. The trouble is, the purchased margarita mixes are full of unnecessary sugar and colors AND ingredients. So, let's make our own and skip the store-bought mixes full of high-fructose corn syrup.
Does Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix have alcohol?
No, Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix doesn't have alcohol. Just like this recipe, you still have to add the alcohol to the mix. So why not make your own margarita mix, instead? You can use fresh fruit and real ingredients. It will taste sooo much better!
This recipe makes throwing together a margarita for one person or 10 people super easy, fast, and utterly delicious! The best part of all... you can control the ingredients and use only your favorites!!
- lime juice. Real lime juice will give you the best flavor but I have made this margarita mix with bottled lime juice plenty of times and it is still tasty! But please don't skimp on the lime juice. It's tempting to get the cheap, inexpensive stuff in the green bottle but you just won't get as good of flavor out of it. For a party...go ahead. But for yourself, make it good! :).
- lemon juice. Again, real is always best for margaritas but go ahead with the bottled lemon juice
- fresh mint. I haven't found a great substitute for fresh mint. A decent mint syrup would work, I think. But don't substitute dried mint for the fresh. I believe it makes or breaks a margarita in the best possible way. Fresh mint added to the simple syrup (a quick mixture of water and sugar) while it cools, as well as to the jar the mix is going to be stored in makes this margarita pop with flavor and brightness!
- sugar. I have successfully used coconut sugar and baking Stevia, I've had good luck using agave nectar, as well.
How to make margarita mix:
This is, essentially, a simple syrup that ice and alcohol is added to. We heat everything in a pot, on the stove, in the same way you might make a simple syrup.
- Heat water and sugar until boiling and sugar is dissolved.
- Add fresh mint bunches and let cool.
- Add the lime and lemon juice and whisk.
- Pour into a storage jar with additional fresh mint leaves inserted.
- Keep cool.
To make a margarita:
Such an easy recipe! Add water and sugar, some fresh mint, and lemon & lime juice. It took all of 10 minutes and 4 ingredients to create this delicious time-saver. And the best part is that this truly makes the BEST margaritas!
- Mix 2 tablespoon of tequila, 1 tablespoon of triple sec, 2 tablespoons of the mixer (or to taste), and a sprig of fresh mint in a shaker.
- Fill the rest of the shaker with ice.
- Shake for about a minute and pour into salt-rimmed margarita glass.
What makes this different than a traditional Margarita?
A traditional margarita uses orange liqueur, or orange juice to get that margarita flavor. Instead, I'm just using fresh lime juice and lemon juice for an easier, brighter version. Try it...you'll love it!
Can I make this margarita mix recipe sugar-free?
I have successfully used coconut sugar and baking Stevia to make simple syrups (like in my homemade coffee syrups). Simply sub it out for the traditional sugar. I've had good luck using agave nectar, as well.
To make a Strawberry Margarita Mix Recipe:
Add 4 cups of chopped strawberries instead of fresh mint. Press the strawberries with the back of a spoon or fork to extract as much juice as possible while the syrup cooks. Pour through a strainer or use a slotted spoon to remove strawberries.
We also have a recipe for a yummy Frozen Strawberry Basil Margarita you should try!
How long can you store the homemade margarita mix?
Store this in the fridge for up to a week. Honestly, it probably could last much longer but I've never had it get that long in my home without being used so I can't be certain.
A little Tequila and Triple Sec in a shaker with ice and you have a crazy good Margarita in only a wee bit of time. Truly, I don't make margarita's with a muddler anymore! This is so good and fast.
On a gorgeous summer day, you'll be so glad to reach into your fridge for this homemade margarita mix and make yourself a quick, refreshing margarita! Serve it alongside Cauliflower Potato Salad to offset those calories :).
Homemade Margarita Mix Recipe
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1.5 cup lemon juice (sometimes I use orange juice)
- 1.5 cup lime juice
- Optional--fresh mint
- Heat water and sugar until boiling and sugar is dissolved (about 4 minutes on high)
- Add fresh mint bunches and let cool.
- Add the lime and lemon juice and whisk well.
- Pour into storage jar with fresh mint leaves inserted.
- Cool and fridge up to 2 weeks (if it lasts that long!)
To make a margarita
- Mix 2 tablespoon of tequila, 1 tablespoon of triple sec, 2 tablespoons of the mixer (or to taste), and a sprig of fresh mint in a shaker. Fill the rest of the shaker with ice. Shake for a while and pour into salt-rimmed margarita glass.