A good and proper margarita should involve fresh limes muddled with sugar and mint, thrown in a shaker with ice and booze. Ain’t no one have time for that! So, I often turn toward purchased mixes from the grocery store to keep it fast and simple. The trouble is, the purchased mixers are full of unnecessary sugar and colors AND ingredients. So, let’s make our own! A homemade margarita mixer makes throwing together a margarita for one person or 10 people super easy, fast, and utterly delicious! The best part of all… you can control the ingredients!
No, really…simple and easy ingredients! But please don’t skimp on the lime juice. It’s tempting to get the cheap, inexpensive stuff but you just won’t get as good of flavor out of it. For a party…go ahead. But for yourself…do the good stuff :).
I have successfully used coconut sugar and baking Stevia to make simple syrups (like in my homemade coffee syrups). Simple sub it out for the traditional sugar.
Fresh mint. I believe it makes or breaks a margarita in the best possible way. Fresh mint added to the simple syrup while it cools, as well as to the jar the mix is going to be stored in makes this margarita pop with flavor and brightness!
And then you just stir, mix, and stir, mix. The end! It took all of 10 minutes and 4 ingredients to create this delicious party-saver. Score!
A little Tequila and Triple Sec in a shaker with ice and you have a crazy good Margarita in only a wee bit of time. Truly, I don’t make margarita’s with a muddler anymore! This is so good and fast.
Homemade Margarita Mix Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups lime juice
- Optional--fresh mint
- Heat water and sugar until boiling and sugar is dissolved (about 4 minutes on high)
- Add fresh mint bunches and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and whisk well.
- Pour into storage jar with fresh mint leaves inserted.
- Cool and fridge up to 2 weeks (if it lasts that long!)
To make a margarita
- Mix 1 shot of tequila, 1/2 shot of triple sec, 4 shots of mixer, and a sprig of fresh mint in a shaker. Fill the rest of the shaker with ice. Shake for a while and pour into salt rimmed margarita glass.