As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
These baked yogurt donuts with fresh blueberry icing are fast and easy for busy parents! Kids love them because of their sweet and bright blueberry flavor AND fantastic color. You’ll love them because you can make them up in under 20 minutes.
There are days that start out so very, very horrid that there is nothing to do but crawl into bed and start over. By the way, do you ever do that with your family? Literally tell everyone to go back in their bed and restart? I have. It surprisingly works. I’m guessing the ridiculousness of it is so humorous it can’t help but get everyone smiling.
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
Free Tip of the Day:
Next time you have a bad start to the day literally send everyone back to their beds to “restart”. See if that doesn’t bring a smile to your family and jump start everyone’s moods!
Okay off track, we were talking about horrid starts to the day. I have them, you have them, everyone has them. But I have the answer to the problem…
No truly. Donuts are a guaranteed happy day maker.
Granted, most of us have diets that aren’t donut friendly. Me included. But that doesn’t stop me from figuring out ways to enjoy them! This recipe is a bit gentler on tummies than most donut recipes. Still a sugar high, without question. Still gluten-heavy, for sure! But they are baked rather than fried (in my opinion, the only way to have donuts!), use Greek yogurt and honey for a majority of butter and sugar, and fresh blueberries make up most of the icing (ignore the powdered sugar and you could say the icing is healthy :)).
Okay, I’m stretching. These are still not a replacement for a good, healthy breakfast.
Next time your day is off to a horrid start, take a moment to pause and reset. Your day isn’t going to end because you halted for a few extra moments. If anything, it will be significantly better because you broke the cycle of crazy bad moods and spewing words of anger (no, I don’t do that either :). Pause in those crazy moments and get a hold of your life. It’s YOUR life, own it, don’t let life own you! If donuts are needed for a moral boost hey… we can sacrifice!
Baked Yogurt Donuts with fresh blueberry icingPrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey or use sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 eggs room temperature if you have time
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugars have an additional 1/2 cup on hand if needed to thicken it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the eggs, honey, yogurt, and extract.
- Stir up that center as best you can without getting dry ingredients in.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet just until mixed.
- Add the melted butter and stir well. Do not over stir donuts, you'll get rubbery and gross ones!
- Spray a donut pan well with Pam.
- Fill donut forms about 2/3 full (use a spoon for the easiest time)
- Bake at 350degrees for about 20 minutes. (or until golden brown and pulling away from the edges slightly)
- After a couple minutes of cooling, flip them out on to a cooling rack.
- In a food processor puree the blueberries, add the powdered sugar, and puree until blended well.
- If needed, add additional powdered sugar.
- (note, as the icing dries it will harden a bit)
- With a spoon, or by dipping the donut into the icing, spread a generous amount of icing on each donut and place on a rack or parchment paper to drip.