A flavorful, easy grilled chicken in a tequila marinade that works great for so many grilling purposes! You'll make this tequila grilled chicken again and again, this summer. And that marinade...so handy!
Are you looking for a great recipe for grilling chicken? Try my Foolproof Beer Can Chicken!
Key ingredients for tequila chicken:
- Tequila. I prefer to use gold tequila for this marinade but frankly, whatever you have on hand works great. Make sure to get the kind you like for making up homemade margaritas!
- Chicken Breast. Chicken breast is generally preferred by most for grilling however, don't be afraid of trying chicken thighs. My family (minus my husband) prefers grilling chicken thighs over breasts. Thighs taste juicier and have more flavor, we think, then the chicken breasts. Bonus...my budget loves them!
- Lime juice. The lime juice provides a nice citrus punch and helps tenderize the meat. And, you an use it with tequila to make those margaritas so be sure to get extra!
- Orange juice. Orange juice adds a lovely sweetness to the marinade that you won't want to miss.
- Garlic cloves. Garlic mixed with the sweet orange and lime creates the perfect sweet and tangy bite.
Love using chicken thighs? Check out my Instant Pot Shredded Jerk Chicken , 30 Minute Chicken Tikki Masala, or Chicken and Tomato Cobbler!
A breast family? Gotcha covered with 30 Minute One Pot Hawaiian Chicken, Skillet Tuscan Chicken, and Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo.
How to make juicy grilled chicken:
- Mix everything together into freezer bag or large bowl.
- Marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
- Oil the grill grates really well.
- On a consistent 250-300 grill heat, sear the chicken on one side for 5 minutes.
- Flip, brush with more marinade, and continue cooking for about 7 minutes or until the inside temperature is 165 degrees. Let rest and serve.
- NOTE: Chicken thighs will take longer to cook than breasts, expect to add at least 2 minutes to the cook time.
Perfectly juicy grilled chicken requires a great marinade for the chicken to soak in. Otherwise, you will end up with dry and unappealing chicken. What a waste of time and energy!
Tips for Grilled Chicken:
- Take the time to marinate your chicken properly for a considerable bit of time.
- Be sure to oil down your grill racks so your chicken doesn't stick to them!
- If your family likes heat, add sliced jalapenos to the marinade.
- Chicken thighs will take longer to cook than breasts, expect to add at least 2 minutes to the cook time.
- For Kids:
- Ask kids to "massage" the marinade into the chicken every so often. In fact, set a timer and have them massage every hour, or so.
- Talk to them about the science of using a marinade for chicken.
- Explain to them how alcohol works for tenderizing meat and how it cooks out. Again, explain the kitchen science.
I like to keep tequila and limes on hand for this marinade AND margaritas. Keep it easy, I say.
Tequila Grilled Chicken
- ½ cup tequila--gold silver tequila will work, as well
- ⅓ cup lime juice if using chicken breasts reduce this to ⅓ cup
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- Mix everything together into freezer bag or large bowl. Marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
- To grill: Oil the grill grates really well. On a consistent 250-300 grill heat, sear the chicken on one side for 5 minutes...save the extra marinade.
- Flip, brush with more marinade, and continue cooking for about 7 minutes or until the inside temperature is 165 degrees. Let rest and serve. NOTE: Chicken thighs will take longer to cook than breasts, expect to add at least 2 minutes to the cook time.