A flavorful, easy grilled chicken in a tequila marinade that works great for so many grilling purposes! You’ll make this tequila grilled chicken again and again, this summer. And that marinade…so handy!
My family (minus my husband) prefers grilling chicken thighs over breasts. Thighs taste juicier and have more flavor, we think, then the chicken breasts. Bonus…my budget loves them!
Love using chicken thighs? Check out my Instant Pot Shredded Jerk Chicken , 30 Minute Chicken Tikki Masala, or Chicken and Tomato Cobbler!
A breast family? Gotcha covered with 30 Minute One Pot Hawaiian Chicken, Skillet Tuscan Chicken, and Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo.
-Ask kids to “massage” the marinade into the chicken every so often. In fact, set a timer and have them massage every hour, or so.
-Talk to them about the science of using a marinade for chicken.
-Explain to them how alcohol works for tenderizing meat and how it cooks out. Again, explain the kitchen science.
How to get juicy grilled chicken:
Perfectly juicy grilled chicken requires a great marinade for the chicken to soak in. Otherwise, you will end up with dry and unappealing chicken. What a waste of time and energy!
Taking the time to marinade chicken totally irks my patience. I’m the queen of cooking and baking with as little prep, as possible. All of you that take Sunday evenings to plan out your meals command my respect.
Use the extra marinade to brush on your chicken before you flip them.
Although, I AM super good at Double Duty meals. If you are interested in my FREE Double Duty meal plan for 7 meals grab it HERE.
Be sure to oil down your grill racks so your chicken doesn’t stick to them!
Use silver tequila if you don’t have gold, on hand. In fact, juice up some extra limes and mix yourself up a margarita while you are making this marinade!
I like to keep tequila and limes on hand for this marinade AND margaritas. Keep it easy, I say.
Tequila Grilled Chicken
- ½ cup tequila–gold silver tequila will work, as well
- 1/3 cup lime juice if using chicken breasts reduce this to 1/3 cup
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- Mix everything together into freezer bag or large bowl. Marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
- To grill: Oil the grill grates really well. On a consistent 250-300 grill heat, sear the chicken on one side for 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for about 7 minutes or until the inside temperature is 165 degrees. Let rest and serve. NOTE: Chicken thighs will take longer to cook then breasts, expect to add at least 2 minutes to the cook time.