As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Cauliflower. I’m going to admit that when I was a child I thought this veggie was a cruel joke by God. Why would he create such an utterly horrible and awful vegetable? As an adult I understand. As a parent, I really really understand!
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
It’s a magic veggie. It’s a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. And it has the ability to hide. A chameleon veggie? That’s pretty powerful stuff!
Today I’m showing you how to teach it to hide it and pretend it’s pasta. No…for real. Cauliflower as pasta. It knows how to do that! Cheesy cauliflower recipes often simply use cheese to cover up the fact that there’s veggies…not this one!
As one of ten kids, I have had my fair share of macaroni and cheese. When someone hears a bit about my childhood they assume my mom was a mini Martha Stewart and an expert in the kitchen, garden, laundry room, and more. Nothing could be further from the truth. She will be the first person to admit that she was a horrible cook. Us ten kids ate a lot of mac & cheese, cereal, and tuna sandwiches.
As an expert on blue box macaroni cheese, I can confirm that no homemade mac and cheese tastes like the blue box. You will not fool your kids. Don’t try. But, this cauliflower macaroni and cheese is tasty and delicious and a great supper idea! Give it a try…I bet your whole family loves it. Or, your money back (For real though, don’t make me pay you back for your ingredients. I won’t. That’s dumb.)
Also, here’s the link to a dish pretty similar to my baking dish everyone asks about.
Cauliflower Macaroni Cheese
- 8 oz medium size pasta we use veggie pasta!
- 1 head cauliflower cored and roughly chopped
- 2 tab butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion optional
- 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- 2 tab flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth or you can use milk
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese
- spices to flavor we suggest hot sauce, cayenne pepper, or dijion mustard
- Boil a pot of water and add the pasta. Cook pasta until about 5 minutes left until finished.
- Add cauliflower to pasta. Cook until pasta is done.
- In saucepan on medium heat melt butter.
- Add onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add seasonings and flour, stirring for about 1 minute (until thick and creamy)
- Slowly whisk in your liquid. Simmer for about 5 minutes until liquid thickens. (add more flour 1 tab at a time if necessary)
- Turn heat to low and add cheddar cheese a bit at a time until melted in.
- Mix pasta, cauliflower, and cheese mixture together and pour into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a sprayed 9 by 13 inch pan for about 35minutes.
Breadcrumbs are a great toppper!
Mixing in 1/2 cup sour cream with the cheese will make this even creamier!
Don't be afraid to add in more veggies or fresh herbs!
If you are a fan of cauliflower or the sneaky things that cauliflower can do you’ll love our ever-popular cauliflower potato salad! Sneaky, sneak cauliflower is hiding as a potato!