This is an easy clam chowder recipe full of delicious clam flavor in a creamy broth. So easy to make and a hearty, warm soup everyone will love.
I would like to say this is the best clam chowder recipe EVER but…I’m from Minnesota. Being from a land-locked state does not make me an expert in anything with seafood. At all. Ask me about venison, or cakes, or or…walleye and I might be considered an expert. But…as of right now, including the chowder I’ve had while traveling the seaboard, this is the BEST clam chowder recipe ever! I’ve eaten a lot of the stuff!
What are the two main types of clam chowder?
Usually, you will think of New England clam chowder (which this one is) or Manhattan clam chowder. The New England is a white sauce base and the Manhattan is a red sauce base, if that helps :). I can’t say I have ever had the Manhattan version, to be honest.
What spices do you put in clam chowder?
Guys, I’m pretty sure Old Bay seasoning was made solely for clam chowder :). I’m probably being dramatic about that. But really, it’s perfect for keeping this recipe simple AND delicious!
I dare say that I would love! love! if someone who knows something-something about clam chowder would try this and tell me how close to authentic I am (besides the issue of the canned clams. Can’t be helped). If it’s really bad…much worse than the real thing then just don’t tell me. I like living in the world where my clam chowder is delicious. Even if it’s not authentic. Delicious is worth something. Simple and delicious is what I’m all about!
Other tasty soups you should try are…
Gourmet Mushroom Soup || This soup is creamy and full of mushroom flavor. Soooo delicious!
One Pot Sweet Potato Chili || A family favorite that is full of comfort, flavor, and nutrition.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup || This is an easy and simple soup that you’ll make again and again.
easy Clam Chowder RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 3 cans clams I use 1 minced, 1 chopped, and 1 whole
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 pint whipping cream. or use all milk
- 2 cups milk.
- 2 tab white vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Old Bay seasoning to taste
- 1 tsp thyme.
- salt and pepper to season
- In a large skillet put the onion, carrot, and potatoes. Add the clam juice from the canned clams. And then add enough water just to cover the veggies.
- Let cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes…or until soft.
- While those are cooking add butter to a large soup pot, melt it. Whisk in the flour, then the cream and milk right about the time the veggies are done.
- When the veggies are done add them, the thyme, Old Bay, salt and pepper to the large soup pot. Stir everything. Heat but don’t boil.
- Stir the clams, vinegar, and wine in just at the end. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
- Serve warm with fresh parsley on top. And bread. Always serve with bread…yum!