This recipe is a great variation of our favorite venison chili, and very family-friendly (no kidney beans!) It’s a chili that’s sweet and spicy, warm and fresh, and chock full of nutrients that make your body feel taken care of. A little over half an hour is all it takes to make this meal. Fast, fresh and simple.
It will remind you of your grandma’s chili but with a fresh, delicious, new update. Kid’s love the mild sweetness of sweet potatoes (have you tried sweet potato fries with your kiddos? They’ll love them!) and you’ll love the nutrients that come in the sweet potatoes.
How do you get the sweet taste out of chili?
Let’s say you don’t like your chili too sweet and the sweet potatoes are a bit too sweet, what should you do? Add an acid like lime juice or vinegar until it cuts the sweet down to your preference. Start with only a couple teaspoons at a time and add more until you get the sweetness you prefer (or lack of.)
The best option to use is ground beef in this chili recipe; but you can also successfully use ground turkey, chicken, chuck, and even go meatless without losing any of the yummy flavors.
Adjust this recipe to your families needs and tastes… it will still be delicious!
Can I add black beans to my chili?
Of course you can add black beans to your chili! I would add them in when you add the tomatoes. What a delicious addition!
Serving this chili with sliced avocado, sour cream, and cilantro is the best way to have it. In my opinion, the toppings are mandatory. The silky avocado, tangy sour cream, and flavorful cilantro are the PERFECT topping to this chili.
Having a chili “topping bar” is the best way to get kids to gobble up any chili recipe. Make the basic recipe and set out bowls of toppings. They add their favorites and YOU don’t have to worry about picky eaters-score!
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 diced onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 3 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 14 oz can chicken stock
- 2 tab sugar
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Heat up a large soup pan or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions and a bit of salt to heated oil. Saute until soft…about 3 min.
- Add in the ground beef or turkey and cook until brown… about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, and sweet potatoes and cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add in the frozen and simmer uncovered for… about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with more salt & pepper.
- Serve with sliced avacado, sour cream, and fresh cilantro.