These baked onion rings are all sorts of tasty and crunchy and wonderful. The best part is that they are baked. Baked up baby. No frying for us! And the next best thing is that they are egg and dairy free. No sirree. We have ourselves some vegan baked onion rings up in here!
The ingredients for these onion rings are super simple… Silk almond milk, panko bread crumbs, flour, and onions. Simple is best.
The secret to getting these onion rings to be as crunchy and full of flavor as their traditional counter part is three-fold…
- 1. Soaking the sliced onions in milk for quite a long time prior to coating them.
- 2. Double coating. I coat them lightly first in flour, then back into the almond milk, and finally into the panko breadcrumbs.
- 3. Panko bread crumbs. No really, they are much better than traditional bread crumbs. Use these!
These are baked up for about 15-20 minutes. I spray the onion rings prior to baking with a baking spray to give them a nice golden color without the oil. Onion rings must be golden, in my opinion. Something about golden color, crunchy bites, and zingy onion that pair perfectly with cool ketchup.
A quick tip for extra crunch: Turn the broiler on and broil them for about 1 minute (watch carefully!).
Now, I don’t want you to think for one second that these are fast to make. They aren’t. It takes time to slice, soak, dip, coat, dip, and coat again. Absolutely. But it is a simple process that makes a great onion ring! But for game day, I make up a large batch and serve them up with a few sauces. Not really for anyone but myself, truthfully. This is one of those recipes that I pretend I’m making for others but in reality… all for me. Selfish, selfish, selfish!
Other great snack/appetizers you may want to try:
3-ingredient Olive Dip || This dip is INSANELY easy to make, creamy, and full of flavor. A favorite party appetizer and Sunday football snack!
Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks || Easy and quick, these drummies are always a hit. I pop these in the oven first and then start on the onion rings.
Onion and Bacon Bomb || If you are looking for a delicious onion dish, this is the one. It is the bomb.com. Sweet onion filled with a savory stuffing and wrapped in bacon. You can’t go wrong with that combo!
- 3 white onions sliced
- 1/2 cup milk more, as needed
- 2/3 cup flour more, as needed
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs more, as needed
- Soak the sliced onions in the milk for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450degrees.
- Dredge the soaked onions in the flour and shake of excess flour, as able.
- Dip them back into the milk. A fork is usually best for this.
- Dredge them through the panko breadcrumbs, use a fork to pick them off, shake off the excess, and place on cookie sheet.
- Give the breaded slices a light spray of cooking spray.
- Bake for about 12 minutes. Flip and continue baking for about another 10.