As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Nothing says fall like a stack of fluffy pumpkin pancakes. Made in the way of my Grandma, this is an old-fashioned recipe using real pumpkin and buttermilk for the best pumpkin pancakes!
Fluffy, hearty, flavorful, warm, and generous…I’m talking about these pumpkin pancakes, of course.
These pancakes remember that it is still morning, after all, and are simple to make. Resulting in nothing but fluffy and thick pancakes that will bring the whole family happily marching to the table.
These pancakes remind me of an acceptable morning version of my favorite pecan pie. In fact, You’ll often find me sprinkling a bit of crushed pecan bits on the top of these before pouring on the real maple syrup.
And guys, you MUST use real maple syrup on pumpkin pancakes.
Could there be anything more fall-inspired than pumpkin pancakes topped with real maple syrup?
The only thing better, in my opinion, is if you added a great big cinnamon latte. Mmmmm. Heck to the yes.
Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 – 2 Cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix pumpkin, sugars, eggs, vanilla and 1.5 cups of the buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients and whisk together. Add remaining ½ cup buttermilk in small amounts until you reach the consistency you like. Batter should be quite thick, but slightly runny. If you like thinner pancakes, add more buttermilk until you reach the consistency you prefer.
- Preheat a griddle on med-high heat and lightly coat with butter.
- Spoon batter onto griddle, approximately ¼ cup per pancake, unless you want larger pancakes.
- Cook until you see bubbles forming on the top, then gently flip and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve with sweet cinnamon butter and syrup or other toppings of your choice.