We love gluten free waffles around here.
I’m not a gluten-free person, out of necessity. Nor is anyone in my home. Not completely. But, I do avoid it as much as possible for health reasons. You wouldn’t know it from looking at my cupcakes. But, it’s true and a terribly long story. The one thing I miss the most is waffles. I love waffles. A big love. Not itty bitty, kinda, or even a lot. It’s big!!!. Love the squares, love the fluffiness, love the golden color, and the little triangles. Me and waffles…match in heaven! But, me and gluten? Not so much.
Enter the BEST gluten free waffles recipe like…ever!
It is simply wonderful how easy it is to be gluten-free in today's market. There is a huge amount of gluten-free prepared foods, baking goods, and flours that are easily available at your local market. The flours I use are probably already in your cupboard if you are a gluten-free household. If not, they are easy to find!
I believe the use of potato starch is a game changer for gluten-free waffles. The potato starch is what gives the waffles the crisp edges that I simply adore. I have tried using a traditional waffle recipe and simply subbing out gluten-free baking flour in the recipe without nearly as much success as this recipe. I'm convinced it's the potato starch.
the Best Gluten-free Waffles
- 1 c. rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk to make buttermilk add 1 tsp lemon juice per cup of milk. stir. let sit for several minutes
- 1 tsp honey
- Mix the ingredients together. Don't overmix!
- ** add a bit of milk to your batter if it is too thick**
- Pour an appropriate amount into waffle maker.
- Cook until your waffle-maker tells you it's done or until it's the golden color you prefer.
- Enjoy with real maple syrup. Yum!
More gluten free recipes you might like: