Fresh broccoli and creamy cheese pair up to create a perfectly delicious cozy Broccoli Cheese soup the whole family loves!
Are you looking for a new family favorite soup? Try my Carrot Ginger soup. YES, I said carrot ginger and family favorite in the same sentence. Give it a try…you’ll be surprised!
And if you love the broccoli and cheese combo? Try my Easy Broccoli and Cheese Quiche.
Broccoli Cheese Soup is a classic favorite for all the reasons…warm, cozy, and delicious! Perfect for supper with some warm bread and salad.
- fresh broccoli. You can absolutely use frozen broccoli, if you prefer. Be sure it is fully thawed. I prefer using fresh broccoli whenever possible for a better texture and flavor.
- cheddar cheese. The classic recipe of broccoli cheese soup always calls for cheddar cheese. Give a pepper jack or smoked cheddar for a fun and tasty twist!. Tip: use block cheese that you shred yourself for the best melting. Did you know that shredded cheese in bags has a bit of flour mixed in to keep it from clumping.
- half and half. You can use milk if you prefer to save calories. You’ll love the creaminess of the half and half, though!
- nutmeg & paprika. Don’t skip using nutmeg and paprika in this soup. The spices bring the “just right” bit of spice.
What is the purpose of a Roux?
A roux is a mixture of fat (in this recipe, butter) and flour used to thicken a sauce or soup. It’s made towards the beginning of the recipe before liquid is added. When the liquid is added it thickens without lumps (usually ;)).
Why did my Broccoli Cheese Soup separate?
Probably because you got it too hot. Be sure to heat it gently and shut it off when it gets hot. Especially after you’ve added the cheese!
How long will Broccoli Cheese Soup last in the fridge?
You can keep it in the fridge about 3 days in a well-sealed container.
Can I freeze Broccoli Cheese Soup?
I wouldn’t recommend it. The texture gets funny when you reheat it.
Recipe variations to try:
- Swap the veggies. Try swapping half of the broccoli for cauliflower or sweet potatoes.
- Add a protein. Diced ham is amazing in this recipe! Try ham or ground pork…so good.
- Dairy-free. You can absolutely sub out a plant-based milk (I love cashew milk in this) for the half & half and olive oil for the butter.
- Gluten-free. Use your fave GF flour!
- Change up the cheese. Try pepperjack, smoked cheddar, white cheddar, or even gouda for a fun and delicious change!
- Spice it up! Add cayenne pepper, red chili flakes, diced jalapeno, or green chilis.
easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 large carrot matchstick cut
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ stick butter
- ½ yellow or white onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, over medium high heat, cook onion in butter until tender
- Add in garlic and saute for 1 minute
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk until golden brown to make a roux.
- Stir in broth, broccoli, carrots, nutmeg, and paprika
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender but firm
- Stir in half & half and cheese
- Simmer for an additional 2 minutes or until cheese has melted
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Serve and enjoy!