As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Use your Air Fryer to make up a delicious batch of fried bread dough or doughboys for a fast and delicious treat! Cover your Air Fryer doughboys in cinnamon and sugar for a sweet flavor or olive oil and garlic salt for a savory option.
This recipe is in partnership with Rhodes Bake-N-Serve one of my personal favorite products that I have been enjoying since I was a child.
There is nothing quite like the smell of bread, is there? Something about homemade bread makes everyone come running to the kitchen.
Although my mom didn’t bake, she did often have a package of Rhodes Bake-N-Serv frozen bread dough in the freezer. Mostly she used the dough to make up batches of fresh bread for snacks or breakfast. We LOVED it. We would smother it with honey or peanut butter and hoover it down.
Sometimes she would let us fry up the bread dough into amazing little rounds of fried carb goodness. One of us would form the little round bundles of dough, another would fry them, and another would coat them with cinnamon and sugar.
The BEST assembly plant in the world. With 10 kids, though, you can assemble ALOT of stuff in a quick hurry. We could create a full 5 room fort in less than 15 minutes.
I rarely make fried bread dough for my own family. Which is really a shame. But, I am not particularly fond of pulling out my skillet and going through the trouble and mess of deep frying.
P.S. Do you call them doughboys, elephant ears, or just fried bread dough? I’ve heard them called all of those things and, when I was a child, thought all of those things were different treats. I just knew these as fried bread dough.
But I found that the Air Fryer works like a charm to create the same little bundles of carb goodness without the mess of deep frying and without the huge amounts of oil.
I have NEVER created bread dough for the purpose of making fried bread dough. I always use Rhodes frozen dough. Their dough is just so dang handy and tasty. Plus, all of the good memories from my childhood need to stay strong and fresh in my mind.
In just 15 minutes and a spray of olive oil my little bundles of bread are fried up to a nice golden color and ready for a quick brush of butter and sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon.
I’m covering ours with cinnamon and sugar and serving them as a breakfast treat just like I had them as a child. But, you could totally swap out the butter and cinnamon and sugar for a coating of olive oil and garlic salt and serve them alongside supper. Those would be super tasty!
Air Fryer Fried Bread Dough
- air fryer
- 1 loaf Rhodes frozen bread dough thawed overnight in the fridge
- cooking spray
- cinnamon and sugar optional
- melted butter optional
- Seperate your bread dough into 16 pieces (simply cut in half and cut in half and repeat until you get 16).
- Set the 16 pieces on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Spray them again with spray and cover with plastic wrap to rise.
- Let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Form each of the pieces into small circles of dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 350 degrees, spray the pan and sides of the Air Fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Place the circles of dough in the Air Fryer. You want it to be full but still have room around each of the bundles of dough.
- Spray the tops of the dough with cooking spray.
- Fry in the Air Fryer for 9 minutes flipping the bundles after five. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Optional, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.