This post is in partnership with Rhodes Bak N Serv, the recipe and all opinions are our own.
Delicious Rhodes dinner rolls and flavorful sliced ham, topped with sweet pineapple slices, ooey gooey Swiss cheese, slathered in a delicious maple mustard sauce, and baked to golden brown perfection. These Hawaiian Ham and Cheese sliders, friends, you will have on permanent repeat in your home!
Keep these sliders easy with Rhodes Warm & Serve rolls (I keep a few bags of these in the freezer for an easy warm-up when needed!). One bag of rolls is perfect for a 9 by 13 inch pan!
- Rhodes dinner rolls Using ready made dinner rolls that you simply slice and fill your pan with keeps these sliders especially easy to make.
- Pineapple slices Canned pineapple slices works wonderfully for this! Set the pineapple on a plate lined with paper towels for a few minutes before using them. This helps keep the buns from getting soggy.
- Ham If you are getting your ham sliced from the deli, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices is about perfect to fold over a couple of times for each bun. Shaved ham that comes pre-packaged also works great, too. Leftover ham works wonderfully in these sliders!
- Cheese I recommend Swiss cheese but feel free to use your favorite sliced cheese. Smoked Gouda or Provolone would be excellent.
- Dijon mustard You can skip the dijon mustard if your family isn’t into that flavor. Or sub what you have. However, dijon mustard gives these the perfect tangy bite!
- Maple syrup Sweetening the pour over sauce with maple syrup adds just the right touch of sweet and comfort for this dish. If you don’t have real maple syrup sub out a teaspoon of brown sugar, instead.
- Butter You absolutely need the butter to create the warm, gooey, and flavorful sliders. The butter mixes with the pineapples, maple syrup, and mustard for the perfect sandwich!
If you haven’t ever used Rhodes Warm & Serve rolls, give them a try! They store in the freezer and can be baked straight from the freezer (you can even bake only a few at a time, if needed) in only 20 minutes or so. Crazy convenient!
How to Make Hawaiian Ham & Cheese Sliders:
- Pop the rolls in the oven to warm (don’t heat them the entire time, we just want them warm enough to slice) and then slice them in half. While they are in the oven you can get going on the rest of the easy prep.
- Place a ham slice on the bottom half of each bun. Putting the ham on the bottom of the slider bun with the pineapple on top of the ham helps protect the bun from getting soggy.
- Add a slice of pineapple to the ham.
- Top the sliced pineapple with a slice of cheese. Topping the pineapple with swiss cheese allows the cheese to melt down into the sandwich and act like glue for the whole sweet, gooey business. Cheese glue should be a thing, right? So good!
- Close up the rolls.
- Make up the glaze and pour the glaze over the top of the closed rolls brushing it to cover all of the bread. This maple mustard glaze is EVERYTHING. Don’t skip it.
- Optional, sprinkle poppyseeds over the top of the rolls.
- Let it all sit and marry the ingredients together for 10 minutes.
- Bake until it’s yummy and golden brown. Heck yes!
As Mary Berry would say… “nobody likes a soggy bottom!” –comment if you know who Mary Berry is, we are probably besties :)!
Can I use another cheese than Swiss?
Of course! I would suggest provolone or another white cheese but test out your favorite! Cheese always wins.
Why do I need to let the glaze sit before baking?
The longer you let the glaze sit before baking ( I suggest at LEAST 10 minutes but if you can go even a couple hours…the better!) the more flavorful your sliders will be. That glaze will soak into the buns and allow that butter to glisten and shine when baked.
I might have a wee love affair with this glaze. The tangy mustard mixed with the maple syrup and butter (BUTTER!) gets poured all over those beautiful buns to elevate these sliders from sad funeral food to … POW – IN YOUR FACE – WANNA MARRY you sliders.
Can I make this without poppyseeds?
LYING! Of course you can. These sliders won’t look the same but they will taste just as good! If you are making these for a party or to bring somewhere I would recommend you add the poppy seeds (try sesame seeds, those are also good!). But feel free to leave them out on a normal Tuesday night family supper.
I wish you could smell this!
Stick your nose to the computer and imagine hot bread, spicy mustard, creamy cheese, and salty ham. Can you smell it? It’s amazing, right!
I know! So good! The best part is that these are crazy simple to make, easy to make ahead and then bake later, great as leftovers (I recommend reheating in aluminum foil and in the oven) and fantastic to customize. Better than your ho-hum ham sandwich, for sure!
Some ideas for customizing these ham and cheese sliders:
- add sauerkraut
- try a different meat like roast beef or shredded chicken
- add sliced onion or peppers
- swap out the cheese for a spicy cheese
- after cooking, add lettuce and tomato
- try using portobello mushroom instead of ham for a veggie option
easy Hawaiian Ham & Swiss Sliders
- 1 can pineapple slices you need 12 slices, you may need a second can to get 12.
- 1 pkg Rhodes Warm & Serve Dinner Rolls
- 1 stick melted butter
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons spicy dijon mustard use a fun mustard, if you have it. But yellow mustard is just fine!
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb sliced ham (sliced about 1/8 inch thick)
- 12 slices swiss cheese
- Place frozen dinner rolls into 9 by 13 baking pan (you may have to squish them in) and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. –just until they are thawed and able to be sliced easily.
- While the rolls are baking, drain the pineapple well and then place the slices on to a plate lined with paper towels to let them dry even more.
- Stir together melted butter, honey, mustard, poppy seeds, and sea salt.
- When the rolls are able to be sliced, slice the rolls in half and set the tops aside.
- Layer the bottoms with ham, pineapple, and then the cheese. Add the tops back.
- Pour the butter mixture over the top of the sandwiches, brush all over the top, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
For more recipes featuring easy Rhodes Bake N Serv…
Did you make these? I’d love to share your photos! Tag @miznelliebellie and share your finished recipe!