We have quite the coffee recipe collection here on NellieBellie. We think that the term coffee snobs was coined for us. Although, being MN girls you have to find every. single. way. possible of staying warm. One of our fave ways is making this Italian coffee (also called Bicerin)!
Today we bring you yet another delicious coffee recipe, Italian Coffee.
This recipe is so decadent and rich it needs to be your Christmas Eve treat. Your soul will sing, your taste buds will dance, and your heart will be a bit happier.
If you are going to make and drink this please use good products, so this is the place to try the fabulous chocolate, the full-fat cream, and the new blend of coffee you’ve wanted to get! Serve this for dinner guests as dessert in the winter months or for a special treat on date night. Either way, try out this recipe because the Italians sure have gotten this coffee thing right!
Side note: we make recipes 2 or 3 times before putting them on the site to make sure they are repeatable, easy, all that stuff. By the 3rd time we don’t want to drink another coffee drink. Well, we want to but we shouldn’t. So, we brought the 3rd one to our neighbor.
“OH… MY. GOSH.!!” The response came with the full on milk mustache, true story.
Yep, we agree!
What’s the best way to brew your coffee for this drink? We think it’s all about preference, but we’ve created a pro/con list of options for you so you can get an idea of what method you might prefer.
We have a Facebook Live with full instructions on making this drink. Here is a behind the scenes view of that…
Italian Coffee Recipe (also known as Bicerin)
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate shavings optional
- Put a mason jar in the freezer (this is for making the cream topping. If you'd rather use whipped cream, skip this step).
- Make a pot of strong coffee.
- While the coffee is brewing, make yourself a batch of hot chocolate. We recommend something homemade and creamy, but any hot chocolate will work.
- Pour your hot chocolate into the bottom 1/3rd of your mug.
- Pour your coffee over the back of a spoon into the mug, filling to 2/3rds full.
- Put your heavy cream into the chilled mason jar and close.
- Shake until the cream thickens slightly.
- Pour cream over the back of a spoon, filling the mug completely.
- Top with chocolate shavings.