Hey hey! this fabulous coffee recipe is amazing those of you that are avoiding soy and dairy milk are going to find this drink. Never mind that it tastes fantastic for everyone, the use of coconut milk is so much gentler on many of our stomachs.
Off subject, did you know that Dunn Bros coffee offers coconut milk for their drinks? I just found this out and was super excited! I know that many of you aren’t in Dunn Bros market area (so sad!) but, for those of you that are, you might be glad to know that you can get your favorite drink with coconut milk. And no, they didn’t pay me to tell you :). I just think it’s super cool!
Coconut Caribbean Coffee
- 4 oz. coconut milk
- 4 oz. strong coffee
- 1-2 oz. coconut rum
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat coconut milk on the stove, frothing with a hand frother. (if you have an espresso machine, use your frothing wand). Heat only to 145 degrees.
- While your milk is heating, make your coffee.
- Put rum and brown sugar in a mug, add your coffee and stir.
- Pour your frothed milk on top.
- Sprinkle with coconut shavings if desired.
Recipe NotesCoconut milk burns at a lower temperature than cow's milk, so be sure you don't over-heat your milk. If you find the drink is cooler than you like, heat the coffee portion further to compensate.
A candy thermometer or meat thermometer works great for reading the temperature! If you don't have either, trial and error works, too!