This recipe for homemade chocolate sauce is crazy easy to make and tastes divine on ice cream or in your morning coffee! Making your own chocolate sauce allows you to have control over the quality of cocoa and sugar in the sauce and save all sorts of money. This chocolate sauce recipe tastes better, contains better ingredients, AND costs less than the purchased variety. The best part is it only takes 10 minutes to make. Truly!
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
I like to make a batch of this chocolate sauce and separate it into small containers; one container for us, and a couple others to give to family and friends. Not yet have I had anyone complain about getting a jar of homemade chocolate sauce. Frankly, I doubt that particular complaint is in my future.
This chocolate sauce recipe is similar to my mocha syrup recipe except, of course, it’s missing the coffee. Which makes this chocolate sauce perfect for children to add to milk or for your next ice cream social! Feel free to still add it to your coffee, I sure do! It won’t give you the extra jolt of espresso flavor that the mocha syrup does. But it still tastes ah-maz-ing in my coffee.
If you would like to thicken the consistency of this chocolate sauce into a syrup consistency for immediate use (instead of waiting for it to cool and thicken), add a small bit of water to 1.5 Tablespoons of cornstarch and add it in with the cocoa and salt. The chocolate sauce should, however, thicken up nicely in the fridge as it cools.
Couldn’t you just lick the screen! Ice cream sundae’s will never be the same now that you have this chocolate sauce recipe. You. Are. A. Chocolate. Sauce. Beast!!!
Homemade Chocolate Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups pue cane sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa use Fair-Trade, please
- dash of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a heavy saucepan on medium whisk water and sugar together until sugar is dissolved (about 4 minutes), whisking often.
- Add cocoa and salt and continue on low heat until the sauce just starts bubbling, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Pour into glass jars and cool in the fridge OR serve immediately.
- The sauce thickens as it cools (or, see notes below if you are using this immediately)