As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
There is nothing quite like an old-fashioned blueberry coffee cake to start your Saturday morning. A cup of coffee, piece of blueberry coffee cake, and the crossword might be my favorite way to start my weekend.
Growing up, we occasionally had coffee cake made with Bisquik but old-fashioned, homemade versions I only ever experienced at church functions when the ladies had a coffee breakfast or some other event.
And they packed their coffee cakes with cinnamon swirl and streusel and berries and all the things that a little girl from a giant family with a small food budget thought was simply amazing.
I don’t make coffee cake with Bisquik. There is totally nothing wrong with it. In fact, that might be the quickest and easiest recipe out there.
I make mine the way I remember from those church ladies. Homemade, full of buttermilk flavor, cinnamon, and berries.
This is one of my favorite coffee cake recipes that I make. It’s easy and fast and delish. Serve it up with a strong cup of coffee.
Tip: Use full-fat buttermilk and butter. (those church ladies didn’t use skim. No sirree!)
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter milk
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
For streusel topping
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8 by 8 pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the streusel topping till crumbly and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the All Purpose Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl mix together buttermilk, melted butter and eggs.
- Now mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredient together till just combined - do not overmix.
- Transfer to the prepped baking pan and throw the blueberries on it.
- Finally, sprinkle the streusel topping.
- Bake for 40 minutes or till the topping turns golden brown on top. Cool completely before slicing and serving.