This is an easy coffee cake recipe full of cinnamon streusel, studded with tart apples, and topped with caramel. You'll be reaching for another piece for sure!
Growing up I associated coffee cake with old people events, Bible Study, and my Grandma's house.
I'm not sure why coffee cake has a reputation of being an old-fashioned recipe. I mean, it is an old-fashioned recipe. But it is still loved and served in many places. At least here in the Midwest. Maybe we still cling to our ways :).
All things I loved. Because as a cute, dress-wearing, oldest of 10, little girl...old people loved me! They thought I was adorable, well behaved, and doted on me. It was rare for me to get attention by myself so I loved it!
Although I loved coffee cake, as a child there were certain coffee cakes I liked far more than others.
The ones with the perfect amount of cinnamon swirl mixed into the buttery cake. AND the ones that had the streusel topping too. I wanted all the sugary parts I could get!
Today, I still love my coffee cake with that perfect swirl of cinnamon goodness. But I understand a bit more why coffee cake is loved by "the old people".
Coffee cake is such an easy thing to eat with a cup of coffee. Easy to make, easy to serve, stores great, and is wonderful for entertaining. It's the pasta salad of the dessert-y, breakfasty world (what category IS coffee cake in, anyway?)
Can you freeze coffee cake?
Sure you can freeze coffee cake, let it come to room temperature and wrap it tightly in freezer paper or aluminum foil. Place it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Simply thaw it when you are ready to serve.
This coffee cake takes up the classic version a notch and weaves apples through the whole buttery cake. Soooo good!
Topped with a jar of caramel sauce (or make your own with this Classic 5-ingredient Caramel Sauce recipe or this Sweetened Condensed Milk Caramel Sauce recipe), this Apple-studded coffee cake is sure to please the whole family!
We serve this up with a hot cup of coffee and a smile...nothing better on a weekend morning!
Apple Coffee Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter cut into cubes
- 1 ½ cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-3 Granny Smith Apples cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 14 oz Jar Caramel topping
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 cup Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture looks like crumbs.
- Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, almond and vanilla.
- Pour into the crumb mixture you just made.
- Mix until all combined.
- Pour half the mixture into a 13x9 Cake pan.
- Heat Carmel sauce so it is easy to spread. Pour ¾ of it on top of the batter in the pan (Save the rest for the top when its cooked).
- Place chopped apples on top of Carmel. Then top with the remainder cake mix.
- Combine all the ingredients for the crumb topping. Sprinkle on top of the cake mix.
- Place on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Let cool and then top with the remaining caramel sauce, cut, and serve.