A tasty variation on the classic lemon and poppyseed muffin bursting with fresh blueberries. These bakery style Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed muffins can be made in 30 minutes and only 1 bowl ...perfect for busy families!
These muffins combine two classic muffins into a powerhouse flavor muffin! Lemon Poppy seed and Blueberry muffins are combined in this easy and oh so delicious recipe. Once you add blueberries to your lemon poppyseed muffins you'll never make them another way!
My son Levi's favorite muffin, bread, or cake is lemon poppyseed and I've been making them for years and years. Usually I make the quick lemon poppyseed scones, or my to-die-for lemon blueberry bundt cake and add poppy seeds to it.
Seriously, if you haven't yet tried the lemon blueberry bundt cake recipe put that on the top of your to-do list this weekend!
In most muffin recipes, go ahead and swap sour cream and yogurt for similar results and taste. Sour cream provides a richer taste than the yogurt counterpart but results in a similar texture and flavor. Honestly, most will never notice the difference.
This recipe doesn't call for milk or buttermilk. But many do and are often skipped because there isn't buttermilk in our fridge. I mean, FAIR, I certainly don't buy buttermilk on a daily basis just to have around. Make your own buttermilk for all your baking needs...
Make makeshift buttermilk by adding a bit of vinegar to regular dairy milk and allowing it to sit and curdle for 10 minutes.
To keep your blueberries from sinking or from turning your batter blue when stirring, lightly coat your blueberries with flour before adding them to your batter. This will keep them afloat in the batter as well as give you a bit of extra time to stir without turning everything blue.
Tip: coat your blueberries lightly in flour before adding to your batter.
To store: These muffins will store well for a couple of days in an airtight container. Or freeze for up to a couple of months.
I often freeze a batch of muffins and pull out only a couple at a time at breakfast. They warm in the microwave quickly and are perfect for an easy breakfast.
Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 1 ¼ c/175g fresh blueberries washed and dried
- 2 ¼ c/270g all-purpose flour
- ½ c/100g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp/16g poppyseeds
- 2 tsp/8g baking powder
- ½ tsp/2g baking soda
- ½ tsp/3g salt
- 1 c/240ml full fat sour cream whole milk yogurt can be substituted
- 2 tbsp/30ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp/ grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp/90ml vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375° F/190 C. Line 12 ½ c muffin tins with muffin/cupcake papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk sugar, oil, and eggs until combined.
- Add yogurt and lemon juice and whisk until creamy.
- Whisk in salt, lemon zest, and poppyseeds until thoroughly distributed.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined – a few lumps are ok, be
- careful not to over mix.
- Fold in blueberries. Scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins until just at surface.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes until lightly golden on top and a cake tester comes out with just a couple
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing and transferring to cooling rack.
- Best served warm. Great with butter and lemon curd.