This Mexican Street Corn Salad has all the buttery, corn, spicy flavor of your favorite Street Corn without the mess and effort. Full of creamy, cheesy goodness...this hot salad is sure to please at parties, barbecues, and football games!
In fact, add additional creaminess (check the post for tips) and you'll turn this salad into a yummy dip!
If you are anything like me, you will eat your favorite food at any (reasonable) opportunity you can. Breakfast is up for grabs on leftovers, even. Any time. Any place.
Mexican Street Corn is one of my favorite foods and, in MN, is a seasonal treat. When sweet corn is ripe and hearty...I grab it at every single place I can.
In fact, this year, I'm making it a mission to find the BEST MEXICAN STREET CORN in the Twin Cities area. It's my duty, obviously, to inform you all on these important things.
This creamy and cheesy Mexican street corn salad came about because of my desire to have my favorite food all year long. Regardless of if sweet corn is in season.
This recipe uses frozen sweet corn and a cast iron skillet to give you that lovely charred fresh sweet corn flavor that is so so good in Mexican Street Corn.
In fact, I use this same cast iron skillet (and even sweet corn and jalapeno's) to make my Tex Mex Skillet Cornbread. I kind of love corn and cast iron together.
Paprika is the spice I prefer on my Mexican Street Corn, if you prefer Chili Powder (many versions use Chili Powder instead of Paprika) go ahead and make that substitute.
Tip: this salad is the ULTIMATE for swapping and tweaking and making it your own. You really can't go wrong. Try it as the recipe reads and then try making some of the following changes to make it exactly how your family loves it.
Mexican Street Corn Salad Additions, Swaps, and Tweaks:
- Add shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese.
- Swap Feta Cheese for the Cotija cheese.
- For additional heat, add more jalapeno pepper or try a chili pepper.
- Like it super creamy and more like a dip? Double up on the mayo and cream cheese. Add a bit of sour cream, as well.
- For even MORE authentic flavor, grill up ears of sweet corn and then cut the corn off the cob.
- Swap Chili powder for the paprika.
- Add several cloves of minced garlic with the sweet corn and jalapeno.
- Throw in a can of green chilis.
- Chorizo. Cook up some chorizo to mix into the dip.
This salad is so good, as is! But my favorite way to eat is still with good old salty tortilla chips. Dip or salad...it's my favorite way to eat my favorite food!
the BEST Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 14oz bags of frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno diced and seeded
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Heat the cast iron skillet to high and add the butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the frozen corn.
- Let the corn char, stirring often, for about 8 minutes. Keep the heat up high and keep stirring. You want it to get nice and dark.
- Stir in all of the remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately. (see notes for making it ahead and serving later)
Stir the remaining ingredients together until well blended.
Add to the charred corn and store in a pan that can go from the fridge to the oven.
Keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To serve: Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees until bubbling and hot (about 20 minutes). Option 2. To make ahead, make the salad as instructed. Place the salad into a storage container and put into the fridge. When ready, remove from fridge and heat. Both options are still tasty but obviously, this salad being served up fresh is the best.