As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
This skillet cornbread uses Jiffy mix to keep it crazy easy. The addition of jalapeno and sweet corn amps up the flavor and couldn’t be an easier way to get a delicious side the whole family will love!
If you love cornbread you should check out our easy Jiffy Cornbread Waffles…so good!
If you are anything like me, you love shortcuts and hacks that bring all the traditional flavor you love in old-fashioned recipes while keeping it fast and easy.
This cornbread, like our popular Jiffy Cornbread Waffles, uses Jiffy Cornbread Mix as a shortcut. But don’t be fooled, there is absolutely no shortcut on flavor. No sireee…all the flavor and yumminess of taking hours and hours!
Time to love and time to play is sometimes far more important than cooking! But, tasty cornbread is a needed commodity. Especially when making our fantastic Tex Mex Eggs Benny (seriously…have you tried that recipe yet? Holy yum!).
Serve it up with a poached egg for breakfast, or some oven baked chicken drumsticks for supper…you can’t go wrong!
Tips for tweaking Jiffy Cornbread:
- Put in an extra egg yolk to help your cornbread not be so crumbly.
- Replace white sugar with a moist sweetener.
- Add 1 tablespoon more butter or oil.
- Replace milk or water with creamed corn for moisture and flavor.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sour cream for more moisture.
We think the trick to cornbread that tastes authentic and amazing is cooking it in a skillet or heavy pan. So, grab your oven safe skillet for this job! If you like ours, you can buy it online here.
Tip: Don’t over-mix the batter. Cornbread batter should be lumpy when it goes into the pan.
Tex Mex Cornbread
- 2 packages corn bread mix, prepared according to directions
- 1 cup frozen corn (1/2 cup if using 1 cornbread mix)
- 1 can green chilis (1/2 of the can if using 1 cornbread mix)
- 1/2 to 1 cup green onions, diced (1/2 cup if using 1 cornbread mix)
- Note: We used a 9 inch skillet for 2 cornbread mixes.
- Most likely you will need melted butter for your cornbread mix. Melt that butter in your skillet, in the oven. Swirl it around the pan and put it in your mix…follow the package directions. (if your mix doesn’t use melted butter just melt 1 tablespoon in your skillet)
- Mix your corn and chili’s into the cornbread mix. Pour into your hot, buttered skillet.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top of the batter. (you can also sprinkle cheddar cheese on top if you want…you know, for extra!)
- Bake according to the package directions (note, if you are using two packages you will need to add on time…about 10 minutes.)…about 35 minutes.Let cool and eat!