Oh my goodness times infinity!! This recipe, you NEED this one in your life! Unless you are anti-spice or anti-eggs; then this one isn’t for you. But, on a Saturday morning I cannot imagine anything better than this Tex Mex Eggs Benedict variation with habanero Hollandaise. Nothing. Pour me up some coffee, serve me some Eggs Benny, give me a puppy to cuddle and I will gladly stay for hours and hours.
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
This recipe is simple, and you can even simplify it even more, if you like. Or build in more homemade items, if that makes you happy. But don’t skimp on the hollandaise sauce, and don’t skip the cornbread or the pico de gallo.
Okay, I lied…make it exactly like I tell you. Don’t mess with something good until you’ve tried it this way first!
— Nellie & Bellie (@miznelliebellie) August 8, 2014
My secret…hot sauce! In the Hollandaise sauce. Hot sauce and Lime make it kicking awesome in a totally kicking way! Taste buds, on full alert!
- Cornbread (this recipe for Tex Mex cornbread is soooooo simple. And perfect for this eggs benedict variation!)
- Canadian Bacon or Ham slices (I rub mine with hot sauce, cilantro, and salt & pepper)
- my Lime Habanero Hollandaise sauce (recipe below)
- Pico de Gallo or Salsa (make your own if you like!)
- green onions (optional) (sliced)
- Make (or buy) your cornbread ahead of time. We suggest our easy tex mex cornbread.
- Rub the spices into your slices of ham. Saute on a frying pan until browned on both sides (medium heat for about 30 sec on each side). Set aside.
- Create your habanero hollandaise sauce.
- Poach your egg(s).
tip: if you swirl your boiling water around and around, drop your egg in, and then swirl it the other way a couple of times you won’t get “legs” on your eggs
- Build your Tex Mex Eggs Benedict: cornbread, ham, eggs, hollandaise sauce, pico de gallo, green onions.
Habanero Hollandaise Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tablespoons hot water
- 4-6 shakes of Black Label Reserve El Yucateco Sauce
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a bowl, beat eggs.
- Add lime juice and hot sauce.
- Pour in hot water and melted butter.
- Beat well.
- Beat in a tablespoon of flour and microwave for 20 seconds. Beat well.
- Continue adding 1 tablespoon of flour and microwave for 20 seconds until desired consistency is achieve. Serve immediate.y
If you’re looking for more spicy options, try our eggs and chorizo, or maybe our Mexican coffee. Yum!
Oh, and if you love that skillet, you can order it here.