A delicious old-fashioned moist banana bread studded with cranberries and walnuts. This cranberry walnut banana bread recipe is easy to make and utterly perfect for fall!
What do you do with leftover bananas? Altogether now... "You make banana bread with them!!". We all know that, don't we! Most of us have favorite banana bread recipes passed on to us from generations ago. Do you make banana bread? I sure hope so...don't let that tradition die with this generation.
Did you know? Banana bread didn't make an appearance until about the 1930's when baking soda and baking powder became widely used? It REALLY became popular when it appeared in Chiquita's Banana Recipes Cookbook in 1950.
A great twist on the traditional banana bread recipe is this Cranberry Walnut banana bread. Adding cranberries and walnuts to the batter elevates Grandma's banana bread into something a bit more special. And we can pretend the addition of cranberries and walnuts makes our banana bread more healthy, can't we?
This recipe is super simple and fast to mix up. Mix it up, invite a friend over, and argue about whose Grandma had the best banana bread recipe. For the record, mine would win :).
Can I eat these warm or cold?
Either! I love this bread fresh out of the oven with a slab of butter on it. If stored in the fridge, I would sit it out to allow it to come to room temperature or toast a slice to warm it up before eating it. See my tip below about storage, though.
How do I store the Cranberry Banana Nut Bread?
You can store the bread at room temperature for 3-5 days. I recommend storing it in an airtight container to make sure it stays fresh! You can extend the life to a week by storing in a refrigerator. However, banana bread tastes best when it doesn't hit the fridge. Store it on the counter, when possible.
Cranberry Walnut Banana Bread
- ½ cup 1 stick butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Slowly add the sugar, eggs, dark corn syrup, and mashed bananas. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add walnuts and cranberries and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Cook for 75-90 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the bread pan to cool completely.