As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
What do you do with leftover bananas? Altogether now… “You make banana bread with them!!”. We all know that, don’t we! Most of us have favorite banana bread recipes passed on to us from generations ago. Do you make banana bread? I sure hope so…don’t let that tradition die with this generation.
Did you know? Banana bread didn’t make an appearance until about the 1930’s when baking soda and baking powder became widely used? It REALLY became popular when it appeared in Chiquita’s Banana Recipes Cookbook in 1950.
A great twist on the traditional banana bread recipe is Cranberry Walnut banana bread. Adding cranberries and walnuts to the batter elevates Grandma’s banana bread into something a bit more special. Not that banana bread with a slab of butter and cup of coffee isn’t special…it is!
Let’s try that again…
A great twist on the traditional banana bread recipe is Cranberry Walnut banana bread. Adding cranberries and walnuts to the batter elevates Grandma’s banana bread into something a bit different..
This recipe is super easy and fast to mix up. And wonderful! Mix it up, invite a friend over, and argue about whose Grandma had the best banana bread recipe. For the record, mine would win :).
Cranberry Walnut Banana Bread
- 4 ripe bananas , mashed
- 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt , plain
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon whiskey (yes, this is optional. but it’s a great addition!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In mixing bowl, beat the bananas for a wee bit.
- Add the yogurt and sugar and beat for about 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients but the flour, cranberries, and walnuts. Beat until well combined.
- Add the flour and beat just until well mixed.
- Gently fold in the cranberries and walnuts just until combined.
- Pour batter into a well greased 9 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.