These cookies are so comfy, warm, and sweet and are the healthier cousin of the fave chocolate chip cookie. Made with tahini, Bob’s Red Mill Paleo flour, and honey, these cookies are packing far more nutrients than the traditional shortbread cookie. A cross between traditional chocolate chip cookies and shortbread… they are my current favorite.
Soon to be yours.
I think that any recipe that veers a bit off of what we are familiar with seems scary, right. Most of us will attempt a traditional chocolate chip cookie and have good results. Or a traditional shortbread cookie we will bake up for the holidays.
But a recipe that we aren’t familiar with is just a bit too much to attempt sometimes, isn’t it?
Please give this recipe a go.
Especially if you are trying to steer your family towards healthier eating. They’ll love this chocolate chip shortbread cookie!
You will never ever ever convince me of the merit of giving up the traditional comfort foods that have been part of homes for generations. Like chocolate chip cookies.
These recipes and foods are tied up in memories and history far beyond their simple ingredients.
I will ALWAYS be baking my children chocolate chip cookies and forcing them to listen to memories of eating them with my 9 siblings.
Gravy and mashed potatoes with butter just like my grandma made will be holiday staples. Because I feel history passing to my kids when I make and serve them.
But, I am A-OKAY with tweaking comfort foods to make them more nutritious and healthier. Why the heck not serve my kids chocolate chip cookies every bit as flavorful as my grandma’s but with more nutrition and less sugar?
Best of both worlds, if you ask me.
And, oh my goodness do we have access to such great healthy ingredients the generation before us never could have dreamed possible! Paleo flour without making your own? Gluten free flour? Tahini? Just those ingredients alone, that are so easy for me to find, would have been unheard of just a bit back.
We are very very lucky.
I’m going to go bake up ANOTHER batch of these yummy cookies (the third batch this week!) and chat with the kids. A glass of milk (almond milk for me :)), chocolate chip cookie, and conversation… THE BEST!
No srsly, these small moments are what we live for.
Let me know what comfort foods are your fave and you would like a healthier version of?
In the mean time, try some of our family’s adapted recipes…
Cauliflower Potato Salad | srsly, they won’t even realize it’s not the real thing!
Sweet Potato Chili Recipe | OMG…this is SOOOO yummy.
healthier Green Bean Casserole | this classic, without the condensed soup
Butternut Squash Cake | like a spice cake…without refined sugar
Tahini Chocolate Chip Shortbread
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill paleo flour
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons oil as needed. use a low-flavored oil like veggie oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or line with parchment paper a cookie sheet.
- Beat the honey, sugar, vanilla, and tahini together in a stand mixer until fluffy.
- A little at a time, on low speed, beat the flour into the sugar mixture--just until combined.
- If the dough isn't holding together, add a tablespoon of oil until it will hold its shape.
- Form the dough into 1.5 inches round and place on to the cookie sheet.
- Gently press them down so they have a flat top, sprinkle sesame seeds on top (optional).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until just golden on the edges (do not over bake).