This Instant Cilantro Lime rice recipe cooks up in under 20 minutes and makes a delicious, flavorful rice perfect for burrito bowls, with shredded jerk chicken, or as perfect side dish to Indian Chicken Curry.
Do you love Chipoltlé’s cilantro lime rice? Me too! This is an easy recipe to recreate that yummy flavorful rice using simple ingredients and the pressure cooker setting on your Instant Pot.
I love this Instant Pot recipe because it eliminates the need for a rice cooker or to heat my kitchen (it’s summer as I write this recipe) with the stovetop. I make one big batch a single time, pack it away, and pull it out when it’s Mexican food night. This recipe is a great way to get a fast and easy side dish.
Key Ingredients for Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice:
- Long-grain white rice. Basmati is a good choice because it has a nutty flavor and holds its shape well without getting mushy and is a more soft and fluffy rice than Jasmine rice. Don’t be tempted to use brown rice for this…it won’t turn out the same as the long-grain rice!
- Fresh limes. You’ll be needing fresh lime juice AND lime zest..why not just grab some fresh limes and get them both at the same time with optimal flavor?
- Fresh cilantro. You can’t used dried cilantro for this…you need the fresh stuff!
How to make Instant Pot Cilantro Rice:
- Combine the water, rice, butter, lime juice, and salt in the inner pot of the Instant Pot
- Cook for 4 minute cook time on manual mode on high pressure (you aren’t use the rice button…if you have one!).
- When the pot is done cooking, let it natural release for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Fluff rice with a fork.
- Add the remaining lime juice, cilantro, and lime zest.
- Stir and fluff again. Serve with fresh cilantro leaves on top.
Tips for Cilantro Lime Rice:
- For extra flavor try subbing chicken broth or vegetable broth for the water.
- This recipe is great for meal prep. Make it ahead and pull it out to serve alongside your Mexican recipes.
- Black beans are a perfect addition to this rice. Especially if you are using it for a homemade burrito bowl. Simply stir the rinsed beans in after the rice has cooked and let sit for a few minutes.
- Stir a bit of coconut milk into the rice to create an extra creamy and flavorful rice.
- Cilantro Lime rice stores great in the freezer and is a great meal-prep item. Keep it in well-sealed freezer bags or similar airtight container for up to 3 months. For best results, let thaw before reheating.
What to serve with Cilantro-Lime Rice:
- Easy Indian curry chicken REcipe (The best and most flavorful!)
- 30 Minute Instant Pot Lentil Curry
- Thai Peanut Curry Sauce Recipe
- Easy Thai Curry Recipe
- 30 Minute Cucumber Kimchi Recipe
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups long-grain white rice Basmati is a good choice
- 2 cups water
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP lime juice-divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine the water, rice, butter, 2 TBSP lime juice, and salt in the inner pot of the Instant Pot
- Put the lid on the pot, press the power button, set it to manual mode, and adjust the time to 4 minutes
- Set the knob to sealing
- When the pot is done cooking let it rest for 10 minutes and then release the pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork
- Add the remaining lime juice, cilantro, and lime zest
- Stir and fluff again.
- Taste for salt and add as needed.