This easy dinner whips up fast in the Instant Pot and is a great recipe for Instant Pot beginners and those looking to get a family meal on the table in a quick hurry. Instant Pot spaghetti is on a regular cycle on our meal plan - the whole family loves it!
If you have an Instant Pot and haven't yet tried making spaghetti in it you are missing out on one of the easiest recipes for weeknight dinners.
Only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, a minute or two of prep, and the Instant Pot does all of the work of supper. Easy clean-up!
Just like traditional spaghetti, Instant Pot spaghetti is easily customized to your favorite ingredients. Use your favorite jarred sauces, pasta, and cheese.
Tip: try changing the ground beef for Italian sausage or ground turkey. Add in fresh garlic and herbs, an onion, or even a green pepper.
Can I use gluten free pasta?
Honestly, I haven't had good luck with gluten free pasta in the Instant Pot. The pasta gets far too gummy and the texture is awful. Perhaps I haven't found the right brand of gluten free pasta for the job, yet. If you have...let me know!
What Instant Pot should I get if I don't have one?
Honestly, just start with the basic 6 in 1 Instant version until you know if you like it. No need to get the fancy stuff until you find if you like using it enough to bother. I love it for meat (Instant Pot shredded chicken is so easy and yum!) and rice.
Can I skip the meat in Instant Pot Spaghetti?
Absolutely. If you would like to simply skip the step of browning the meat and get straight to the dumping part. Skipping the meat certainly speeds up the process and gets your Instant Pot spaghetti done faster!
Tip: brown your meat in advance and simply skip straight to the step of adding water and sauce.
I know it seems odd that you don't stir the noodles but...don't. Just gently lay them on top of your sauce. Be sure to break them in half so that every part of them will be immersed in the water.
Pour the water right over the noodles and leave it alone. Do not stir! If you like, throw in a bit of fresh basil or a bay leaf.
Tip: add a bit of Italian seasoning to your pasta for even more flavor!
When the time is up and you've released the pressure THEN you stir. Gently, very gently.
Serve up the pasta with a bit of grated parmesan and fresh parsley or basil. And, of course, a bit of homemade bread. Mmmmm....nothing beats spaghetti for a weeknight dinner!
Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Instant Pot
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 TSP salt
- 1 TSP onion powder
- ½ TSP garlic powder
- 2 cups water divided
- 1 24-OZ jar marinara or tomato-based pasta sauce
- 8 OZ dry spaghetti broken in half
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Once it gets hot, add in the oil, meat, and seasonings. Brown the meat and break up into smaller pieces. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the sauté mode and add ½ cup of water. With your utensil, scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to make sure any remaining residuals of the meat is off. Add in the sauce. Stir well to combine every element.
- Take your noodles that you have broken in half and spread them in an even layer on top of the meat mixture. Do not stir.
- Add in the remaining 1.5 cups of water. (One way to make sure you get every morsel of your pasta sauce is to pour the water in the jar, close the lid, and shake well. This way you get every oz of sauce!) Do not stir.
- Close the Instant Pot by twisting the lid on and close the seal. Cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes. It should take about 10 minutes to build pressure.
- Once it is done cooking, quick release by opening the valve (make sure to use a hot pad or towel to protect yourself from the hot steam).
- Stir everything well and serve! You can top with fresh parsley, grated parmesan cheese, or both! Enjoy!