Bloody Mary's are a classic brunch cocktail. And they're one of the few cocktails that could almost be termed good for you because of all the veggies in them! But a lot of people don't really know how to make a Bloody Mary.
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Find our full disclosure here.
The problem is that many Bloody Mary recipes either show you the homemade version, requiring a lot of ingredients, or the most basic version which has little flavor and none of the fun spices. So we are going to show you how to make a Bloody Mary 3 different ways, and give you some tips and tricks to creating the Bloody Mary that is right for you.
First up, totally homemade. This is going to be the freshest, most customized version of a Bloody Mary recipe.
If you already know the basics of how to make a Bloody Mary, you might enjoy making these.
You can adapt the ratios to suit your preferences. If you are looking for a simpler method, go to the next recipe.
Start with your vodka.
Add your tomato juice.
Then add all your spices and goodies! Shake it on up (or stir it really well), and there you have it! Put on a couple good garnishes for the perfect homemade Bloody Mary!
- Celery salt for rim
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 oz Vodka
- 4 oz Tomato juice
- 2 dashes Tabasco Sauce
- 2 tsp horseradish
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- Dampen the rim of your glass (moving a lemon wedge along the rim will do this).
- Place celery salt on a plat and press your glass rim onto it.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice.
- Place all remaining ingredients in cocktail shaker.
- Strain cocktail into glass.
- Garnish with celery and a lime wedge, or a pickle spear and olive.
This easier Bloody Mary recipe is my personal favorite. I love that it still has the kick and spice of a homemade Bloody Mary recipe, but doesn't take all the work or ingredients of the truly homemade version. Bloody Mary mixes are available most places alcohol is. Be aware that their taste can vary drastically. You can get everything from a super spicy mix to something like Clamato, which is incredibly mellow. Try a few to see what your preference is.
- celery salt
- 2 oz vodka
- 4 oz bloody mary mix whatever your preference
- 1 dash Tabasco
- Place celery salt on a plate.
- Wet the rim of your glass (a lemon wedge works well for this) and dip your glass in the celery salt.
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add all ingredients.
- Pour your mixture into your glass.
The last recipe is for a cheater Bloody Mary. It isn't truly a Bloody Mary recipe, at least in our books, but is a drink many people enjoy.
Times to Serve Bloody Mary's
- Brunch; the Bloody Mary is a classic brunch drink.
- Outdoor gatherings. The Bloody Mary is just casual enough that it fits the outdoor scene, while still being enough of a cocktail to be considered classier than a beer.
Tips and Tricks
- If you plan to serve Bloody Mary's to a group, consider having a deconstructed bar with a few ingredient options. This way, people can put in ingredients to suit their tastes. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to this cocktail, so letting everyone create their own Bloody Mary recipe ensures approval.
- Skip the shaker if you use the mix (second recipe). It isn't really that necessary and makes clean-up much easier.
- Bloody Bull: This recipe adds 4 ounces of beef bullion to whichever Bloody Mary recipe you used.
- Bloodless Mary: This recipe takes all the ingredients in a Bloody Mary, minus the tomato juice, and puts them together in a martini glass.
- Bloody Beer: This recipe takes out the vodka and puts beer in its place. Because of the difference in alcohol content and flavor, you need to take out the vodka, and half the tomato juice in any of the 3 Bloody Mary recipes. Put 8 ounces of beer in its place.
Fun Extra: Jame Oliver has a Bloody Mary Beef recipe out that uses a bloody mary to season a main dish of meat. Worth checking out!
If you are looking for more cocktail recipes, try: