Creamy, flavorful peanut butter is so easy to make at home with only a few simple ingredients. In a matter of minutes you can have a batch whipped up! Swap out peanuts for almonds or cashews!
Nothing beats homemade peanut butter on warm, homemade bread. What a perfect Saturday morning breakfast!
Is it cheaper to make your own peanut butter?
Usually making your own peanut butter is MUCH cheaper than purchasing it. Also, you can control the ingredients that you use. Peanuts are quite inexpensive when purchased in bulk.
- Optional: honey
- Optional: Cocoa
- Optional: Powdered Sugar
- Put peanuts in food processor or blender.
- Blend until peanut butter consistency, adding oil if necessary.
- Add sugar and salt to taste. Additionally, add cocoa and powdered sugar.
If you buy raw peanuts, start by putting them in the oven for a few minutes to roast them. If you don't roast them long enough, they'll have a slightly leafy flavor. We roasted ours for about 15 minutes at 375 F. If you buy roasted peanuts, you can skip this step. Although I often roast them again to enhance the flavor.
Why is my homemade peanut butter not creamy?
You should try running it through the processor again. Perhaps add another teaspoon or two of oil to help develop that creamy consistency.
After you've roasted the peanuts, stick them in a blender. If you have a food processor, that's WAY better. Blend the peanuts until they turn into peanut butter consistency. On a bad blender, like ours, it will take several minutes. By that we mean about 5-10, because we had to give our blender breaks so it didn't burn out. And several times of stopping to scrape the sides. It's really old. But if you have a nice blender or a food processor, it will go much faster. If you've tried for a very long time and the peanuts still don't get a smooth consistency, add a tablespoon or two of oil. After you've finished, add sugar and salt to taste. We put in about ¼ tsp. salt and 1 T. honey.
Does homemade peanut butter have to be refrigerated?
No, it really doesn't. If you are going to eat it within a couple of weeks it is perfectly fine to leave on the counter.
However, it will keep for several months in the fridge. You will need to stir it before using it which can be difficult when the peanut butter is cold.
Is homemade peanut butter good for you?
Homemade peanut butter consists of whatever ingredients you add to the peanuts. So, if peanuts are good for YOUR diet...yes. Not all diets should have peanuts so that is a completely personal question and answer.
For most...yes. Peanuts are chock full of good protein and homemade peanut butter has very little oils and sugars in comparison to the purchased variety.
Try adding ¼ to ½ cup of cocoa and a bit more sugar to create your own homemade version of Nutella.
Homemade Peanut Butter
- 2 cups peanuts roasted, if you have the time
- 2 tablespoons oil peanut or olive oil works great
- ½ teaspoon salt skip this if your peanuts come salted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.-optional
- Put peanuts on to cookie sheet.-optional
- Roast peanuts for 12 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. Note: you can skip roasting your peanuts but roasting them elevates the flavor. -optional
- Put peanuts, salt, and 1 tablespoon of oil in the processor and blend.
- Add the additional tablespoon of oil if needed to achieve a creamy, consistent texture.
- Optional, add honey or sugar.
- Store in a sealed jar or container on your counter for about a week or in the fridge for a couple of months.
Do you love making as much as you can homemade? Try these recipes, too: