Pumpkin pie spice is so easy to make and requires only a few ingredients that are probably already hanging out in your pantry. Don’t buy it ever again! Pinky promise me you’ll try making your own!
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- dash cayenne pepper
- Stir the spices together.
- Store in a tightly closed glass jar.
Why is it called pumpkin pie spice?
Because the spices used to make it are the same used for pumpkin pie. Women who made a lot of pumpkin pies would mix up these spices in large batches to save time when it can time to whip up a pie.
What makes up pumpkin pie spice?
Similar to your favorite all-purpose seasoning, pumpkin pie spice is a blend of various warm spices. Usually cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves or allspice.
Note: my Gma had a secret ingredient in her version (truly…you need to try it!)
Pumpkin pie spice diy tips:
- Don’t worry if you are missing a particular spice. Other than cinnamon (that one IS important), the others are fairly interchangeable and you are A-okay to miss one.
- This spice mixture keeps really well and is a great candidate for a homemade gift idea from the kitchen that won’t spoil before you have a chance to gift it!
- Try something new…a wee bit of black pepper or allspice.
- Spices are always best when used fresh. Make a fresh batch each fall for the best flavor!
Libby’s pumpkin pie recipe
Please tell me you know what I’m talking about when I say…Libby’s pumpkin pie? My Gma was a great cook but until I was into my teens I didn’t know there were multiple kinds of pumpkin pies. My Gma would take out the can of pumpkin, put in a tablespoon of her homemade pumpkin pie spice, and pour it into a crust and bake it. I thought that was how all pumpkin pie’s came…out of the Libby can.
Easy pumpkin pie recipe
My favorite pumpkin pie recipe is this easy pumpkin pie recipe with a gingersnap topping. Soooo good and feels fancy :).