A family friendly meal, Dorito pie (or casserole) is layers of crushed Doritos and a creamy ground beef filling. It tastes an awful lot like a beef enchilada casserole but is a whole lot more fun and easy to make! Top it with your favorite taco toppings!
Honestly, this is a casserole that should make more appearances on our menu. My family loves it and it is easy to make ahead and reheat!
Feel free to use chicken or ground pork instead of ground beef if your family prefers it.
Instead of salsa, try diced tomatoes and chili's. But, I always seem to have an opened jar of salsa in the fridge. This is a great recipe to use it on!
We top ours with chopped lettuce and tomato, sour cream, black olives, and avocado. Basically, the same things as our tacos have.
This is a great freezer casserole! Simply make up the casserole and top with cheese and pop it into the freezer. When you are ready to eat, bake it until it is hot and bubbly and then top with your favorite toppings.
A great Sunday meal prep meal!
Recently I did a FB live showing how easy this is to make...
Dorito Casserole (Pie)
- 1 14 ounce bag of Nacho Doritos you can use another flavor, if you prefer
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 lb ground beef chuck, turkey, pork, or chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup salsa alternatively you can use a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 16 ounces of Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, saute the beef with the onion until the beef is brown and the onion translucent. If you use a lean meat you will need to add a tablespoon of oil or butter.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the taco seasoning, salsa, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and beans.
- Open the bag of Doritos (so that it won't pop when you crush them) and crush the Doritos into pieces. Don't crush them too small, however.
- In a sprayed 9 by 13 pan, spread 1/2 of the crushed Doritos and top with 1/2 of the beef mixture. Repeat.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, covered with foil, or until the cheese is melty. If desired, turn the oven to broil and broil the casserole, uncovered for a couple of minutes to brown.
- Serve with lettuce, tomato, black olives, and sour cream.