This coconut milk ice cream is creamy and decadent, full of chocolate chunks, almonds, and coconut goodness!
Have I told you I have a dairy sensitivity? It’s a thing, really. In fact, a good portion of the world shares the same sensitivity with me. But it really is a thing when it comes to ice cream, isn’t it?
Being dairy-free doesn’t seem to be terribly hard until it comes to having ice cream. So many of you are in the same boat…you miss ice cream!
This coconut milk ice cream isn’t exactly the same as the full-fat version. But it’s really really good!! And I know you’ll be using this recipe and tweaking it into amazing recipes. Please be sure to share them with me, will you?
Saying I’m excited about this recipe is an understatement. A huge, ginormous understatement.
I’m freaking excited!
Not that non-dairy ice cream doesn’t exist or isn’t available to me. It totally is. In fact, there is an abundance of great choices! But homemade ice cream? That’s another thing, altogether.
Tip: be sure to put your ice cream maker into the freezer the night before you want to make the ice cream (not the whole maker, you know…the metal part).
It’s hard to make good homemade ice cream with anything other than fatty milk products. It just doesn’t seem to work correctly. And vegan ice cream can be even more difficult.
Coconut milk ice cream is a great option for dairy-free and vegan diets!
But this recipe? This recipe is amazing with coconut milk! It’s almond joy, after all. And almond joy and coconut go together like peas in a pod. Amazing!
The trick to good coconut milk ice cream is the use of cream of coconut in the recipe. This helps to replace the milk fats that you don’t get from coconut milk but is found in traditional milk.
Those of you that can tolerate milk should substitute whole milk for one of the cans of coconut milk for better consistency.
Life has a bit more sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns in it now that I have this recipe perfected. Ice cream does that, doesn’t it?
So, those of you that, like me, can’t tolerate dairy all that well give this coconut milk ice cream recipe a shot. I bet you get a little skip in your step, too!
Almond Joy Coconut milk ice cream
- 2 cans coconut milk if there isn’t a dairy allergy I would recommend using 1 can of coconut milk and 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream for a better consistency
- 1 can cream of coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla paste of extract
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1/3 cup almonds roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped dark chocolate bar
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer and on low speed combine the coconut milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved-about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut cream, toasted coconut, and vanilla.
- Turn the machine on; pour coconut mixture into ice cream maker.
- Let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- transfer to a loaf pan, cover with foil and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later…
How do you make chocolate ice cream with coconut milk?
I think this chocolate coconut milk ice cream is one of the best: https://www.thekitchenmccabe.com/2018/08/05/coconut-milk-chocolate-ice-cream/
Other great recipes using coconut milk:
easy Coconut Milk Chocolate Pudding
Boozy Coconut Milk Coffee