I’m a firm believer in having one piece of AMAZING dessert once in a while instead of little bites more often. Our minimal lifestyle is all about having less so that we can have BETTER. Even in desserts.
My crust is made up of ground nuts and dates instead of the traditional graham cracker butter concoction. This makes for a sweet, earthy, and rich crust that is packed full of flavor and the perfect place to add additional nutrients and vitamins.
Coconut Date Cheesecake Bars
- 1 cup nuts I recommend 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1 14 oz package sweetened coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- No-Bake Cheesecake Layer:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Finely chop the nuts and dates. (tip: this step is faster and easier using a food processor) Press the mixture into a greased 8 by 8 square pan.
- Mix the coconut and sweetened condensed milk together. Pour 3/4 of the coconut mixture over the top of the date crust (reserve 1/4 of it) and gently press down.
- Bake the coconut layer and date crust in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Cool (setting it in the freezer while working on the cheesecake filling is often more than enough time to cool).
- Pour the remaining coconut mixture onto a parchment paper lined (a greased pan will also work) cookie sheet and press to about 1/4 inch thick. Bake in the 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Cool, crumble, and save for the top of your bars.
- Meanwhile, for the no-bake cheesecake filling beat the powdered sugar and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Add the honey, vanilla, and whipping cream.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cheesecake filling over the cooled coconut and date layers and spread gently. Top with the crumbled coconut bits.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours prior to serving.
- Makes 9 man-size bars or 12 women-size bars.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours prior to serving. Makes 9 man-size bars or 12 women-size bars.