After seeing the success that our homemade chocolate cake recipe has had and how much you all love it I realized that that my best white cake recipe could be something that you would find valuable as well. Having a chocolate cake or white cake recipe that you KNOW will produce a fantastic cake makes life so much simpler. It might take a bit longer to make these cakes than a box mix, but it certainly is better for you to use REAL ingredients. And, there is something so satisfying to make a cake from a similar recipe as Grandma did, back in the day. Put a bit of music on, pour a glass of wine, and get baking. Truly, you’ll be feeding your soul!
Tips to a perfect white cake:
- Use room temperature buttermilk and egg whites.
Don’t skip this. It makes a huge difference!! Just set your buttermilk and whites on the counter a few hours before you intend to start.
- Using shortening keeps your cake white in color.
But don’t be afraid to use butter! The flavor is better. Just be sure your butter is softened a bit.
- Spray & flour your pans.
There is nothing worse than cake that sticks to the pan. Especially when making layer cakes. Of course, if you are making a 9 by 13 cake there is no need to worry about this step as much as if you are attempting a layer cake. You can even pick up cooking spray that is made just for baking and has flour right in it…easy peasy!
- Use clear vanilla concentrate, if possible.
Again, this does nothing for the flavor…only the color. And don’t be afraid to try almond extract….yum!
- Use good flour. We used Bob’s Red Mill. It’s organic and incredibly versatile. And it is the same high protein flour used by professional bakers and produces high, well-textured loaves of bread equally as well as it produces light, airy baked goods.
- Make your own buttermilk, easy-peasy…
1 cup of regular milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
Stir together and let sit 10 minutes…buttermilk!
I’m a big fan of tried and true recipes, and this white cake is one of them. I can imagine a family back in “the day” sitting about talking and laughing around this very same cake. That makes me feel like I have a small touch of the “way it was” in my kitchen. Granted, I am making this cake with my fantastic oven, mixer, and fancy pants tools. But still. I still have a bit of nostalgia for recipes like this.
Homemade White Cake
- 4 egg whites let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla I use clear
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk see post for easy way to make your own
- Grease & flour pans (1 - 9 by 13 or 2 - 9 inch round).
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat shortening with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds on medium speed in large bowl.
- Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add egg whites and beat for about 30 seconds.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk. Beat until combined.
- Beat on high for an additional 30 seconds.
- Spread batter into the pan (s)
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes (30-35 for 9 by 13 pan).
Other cakes we love:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.