If you didn’t know, a pound cake recipe gets its name because the cakes are traditionally made with a pound each of butter, flour, sugar, and eggs. This isn’t a true pound cake because it doesn’t use those full pound ratios, it’s a bit lighter on the weight side.
You can still call it a pound cake, though, because the ratio is similar enough.
Pound cake is an old-fashioned, gently sweet cake that few are still making today. How sad. It is easy to make and absolutely delicious! These recipes are reminiscent of grandma and her kitchen table in the BEST. possible way. In fact, this recipe is best served with a tablecloth and chipped dishes. And tea, of course.
The trick to homemade pound cake is letting your butter, eggs, and sour cream sit out at room temperature until the butter is soft (usually about 45 minutes). Although most recipes call for 2 bowls, one for dry ingredients and one for wet, the one bowl method works. Put all the ingredients in one bowl and give it a good mix, you’ll be set! Easier!
This pound cake recipe is truly simple!
Just whip up a few ingredients…and mix it all together. Isn’t that fabulous?! You don’t need to sift ingredients, separate egg yolks, learn to layer, or whip anything to a specific consistency. Nope. Homemade pound cake is just fabulous for beginners!
You could even use this recipe to graduate your children from the 2 ingredient cakes (you might still want to control the oven, depending on their age) to a true “cake recipe”. The measurements are really simple, just make sure to check for egg shells!
the BEST homemade Pound Cake recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs or 3 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Let eggs, butter, and sour cream come to room temperature (about 45 minutes)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with the eggs and sour cream.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat just until well mixed.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan (or a 9 by 9 inch square)
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean.
- Cool before serving.
easy Orange glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoons orange zest
- Combine all ingredients and mix with a fork.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
Recipe NotesIf icing is too thick, add more juice. If it is too thin, add more sugar.
Or, we’ve put the top classic cakes recipes in ONE post to make it easy…